Private Device Driver Code?

Sorry, I'm new here, so please excuse the potentially dumb question. Coming from SmartThings, it struck me as odd that all of the built-in Hubitat device driver code seems to be private. Is there a reason? Seems like it makes it more difficult to modify working implementations to handle devices with minor "special needs".

Hubitat has never claimed to be an open source platform. That said, code for some sample drivers and apps is available on Hubitat’s GitHub repository.

Some explanation might be in order. SmartThings really upset me when their Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver stopped working properly with my Cooper Aspire RF9540 series dimmers. In Hubitat, I was very happy to see the original (correct for these devices) behavior returned.

I also have Leviton DZMX1 dimmers and DZPD3 plug-in dimmers. I see that Hubitat supported devices list says the DZMX1 should be set as a Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer. But the hub discovers it as a Leviton Fan Controller. And it seems to work best with the Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer driver. My DZPD3 devices are discovered as Generic Z-Wave Repeater or Generic Z-Wave Central Scene Dimmer depending on their hardware generation. Neither of those is correct, but again Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer seems to work best. Blah blah blah...

So I find myself wondering two things:

• What is the difference between the DZ6HD and Generic Smart Dimmer drivers?
  • Where should I make suggestions for better device fingerprints for my devices to the Hubitat developers if not in git?
1 Like

Yes thanks. I did find the samples. Appreciate those.

You can do it under Feature Requests.

Also, when you change drivers, be sure to click Configure on the device page.

4 Likes

Custom driver for your Leviton Dimmer if interested:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.