Press off to turn off another switch

I have a rule that turns off all the lights in my garage when I press the main light switch off. It functions perfectly, but only if the main lights are already on. If I press off when the main lights are already off, the workbench and other lights will remain on. These are Lutron Caseta switches.

I do not want to mirror the main switch, only the off state. Do I need to create a virtual switch or virtual switch driver to hold/send the state of the main lights, so that the rules can be triggered on that event instead?

Being new to the Hubitat, I want to make sure there isn't a more common solution to this.

What you want to do would work with a Lutron Pico, but I don't think it will work with a Caséta switch. I'm not at home right now, but I don't think that Caséta switches will send a physical "off" event if the switch is already off.

I'll update this post after testing it when I go home.

This is simple to do.

But I'm not sure how you'd trigger an event selectively by storing the state of your main lights in a virtual switch.

1 Like

I use a scene in Lutron that is assigned with an integration. I then use a pico command to turn that scene off so it doesn't matter the state of any switch in that scene, all switches/dimmers turn off. This includes turning off everything else in the house. (Scene 6 includes all lights in the house)

1 Like

Yup, in the Lutron ecosystem what @user1009 wants does require a Pico. However, with switches that function as button controllers (like offerings from iNovelli and Zooz), the switch itself could trigger the "all off" independent of its own state.

2 Likes

Thank you for all the replies.

This all makes sense, as the off press does not register as an event on the Hubitat unless the switch was already on. I have a spare pico I can use instead, and mount it next to the main switch, or replace the main switch entirely with a pico and drive everything through the button presses.

4 Likes