Preset scenes for color bulbs

Hi,

In Philips hue, we can activate a preset scene like artic/beach/rain forest and all the bulbs will change color to adapt to the scene. From what I can tell, the only way to do this in Hubitat is to manually set the color one by one using the group and scene app. Is there an app for this?

FYI, I have about 15 Sengled smart color bulb, connected directly to HE.

Thanks!

2 Likes

You are correct that Hubitat doesn't have anything quite like this. You'd have to set the bulbs to whatever color/color temperature and/or level you want, then capture the scene. (Hue's color temperature scenes are pretty easy to emulate: "Read," my favorite for warm white, is around 2980K at 100%; "Bright" is a bit over 2700K at 100%; "Concentrate" is around 4290K at 100%; and "Relax," a super-warm light I like sometimes in the evening, is around 2250K at 65%. Their color scenes are a bit more random and would take some fiddling.)

This seems like a gap a community app could fill in: I imagine something where you could select multiple bulbs/groups, then choose what kind of "scene" you want the app to create with those, and have it set the bulbs/groups to that configuration. For completeness, I suppose it could then capture and create a scene like that, but I don't think that's possible, so you'd probably have to go into Groups and Scenes and do so yourself (but it would save you the effort of needing to set the bulbs yourself).

That being said: I've had bad luck using scenes with Zigbee bulbs on Hubitat (and yes, I'm aware of the general caution regarding Zigbee bulbs, which I was following and which are not applicable to Sengleds). Specifically, with scenes, I've had to activate them twice in a row in order for the bulbs to actually respond correctly--on the first activation, not all of the bulbs would get the on, level, and color/CT commands all ("on" was pretty reliable but it usually took a second try for most/all of the rest). My luck got better when I modified the RGBW driver (thankfully one they've publically released as an example driver) to increase the delays between commands, but by that time I had moved all of my lighting that I could back to Hue, where native Hue scenes (for which I wrote a custom Hue Bridge integration) work amazingly well--Hue does it with a group broadcast, whereas Hubitat sends individual commands to bulbs one by one, which I theorize overwhelms some of these devices when they get a lot of commands (level, color, etc.--to say nothing about what else might be simultaneously happening on the network) at once. (This is only true for scenes; Hubitat can support outbound Zigbee group broadcasting in groups when the option is enabled. Using a group whenever possible is likely to help.) So before you go too far, I have to ask: have you tried this? If not, give it a try before you get too far in case you discover you don't like it. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This isn't quite true. A Group allows you to set all of the bulbs in the Group to the same color simply by setting the Group device color. If you were to put the same set of bulbs in a Scene, you could set them all with the Group device, capture those settings in the Scene, and then tweak the settings for inidivual bulbs if you wanted in Scene (Adjust Scene). Then, activating the Scene would bring all of those tweaked settings up. So there are multiple paths to do what you're talking about.

5 Likes

I looked at groups and scenes. The combination looks pretty powerful and well thought out. What would you do that is not already done in the existing application? A custom app may be a nice exercise for us old folk.

Dave

1 Like

I also use a Groups and Scenes to control all my color bulbs (ad LED strips). Works well only issue is it does not seem to preload color changes. So my bulb turn on one color then switch. @bravenel is that true or do I have something setup wrong?

1 Like

I believe this is a device issue, not a Groups and Scenes issue. Group-2.1 or Scene-1.2 simply do a setColor command per the app settings.

1 Like

I guess my point is, with Philips hue, this is a one click solution, if you had decided to add 10 more bulbs, it is still a one click solution. But it is not the case with Group & Scene app on HE.
Of course i am not complaining, the Sengled bulbs are like 4 times cheaper after all.

If you are referring to some automatic device selection, then yes, Hubitat doesn't have any automatic device selection mechanism (nor is it possible with our architecture). Once the lights are selected, setting them to some predefined color/level etc is one click.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe the closest thing for HE is for the user to manually select all the color bulbs. Then the app would automatically assign the color combination to all bulbs, maybe with a "randomize" button to try out different combinations.
For example, the scene Arctic aurora could have 4 main colors.

Then you would end up with something like this.

1 Like

I am thinking more of an app that lets you pick a scene/mood and it would automatically apply the theme colors to all color bulbs.

2 Likes

Sorry if this is off topic - Does it matter that I am switching between color and CT? When I go from 2700CT to Green it is fine, but going from green to 2700CT creates a preload delay. Same bulbs, same group, separate scenes.

2700 to Green

Green to 2700

@coolineho Mood Lighting App - I would install it. :smiley:

Was very happy to find this post! I have a Hue white bulb about 8' away from a Sengled color, and really needed to match the look of both when the Sengled was not displaying a color for notification purposes.

Very new to thinking about bulb color and other settings, and am confused about how some of this works, if you have a moment. :slight_smile:

I'm using the Sengled color bulbs w/the generic Zigbee RGBW driver:

• Enable Hue in degrees (0-360) setting: Did some searching and can't find a good explanation of this setting. Why would you enable this? When is using this setting helpful/advantageous?
  • When I set the color temperature you provided above (2980) my Sengled color bulb goes to 2985. When I set 2880 it goes to 2881. Is that because there are "allowed" CTs that the bulb jumps to?
  • Is there a way to "translate" CT/Level settings like the 2980 to an HSL setting?
  • Does Hubitat have a "standard" for bulb settings like "Soft White" that is used across apps, or is each bulb making its own decisions if an app sends it a "Soft White" command? And if the latter, can you control how a bulb reacts to those types of settings?

Thanks for any help w/this. If there is a recommended reading on this stuff I'm all eyes... :slight_smile:

Taggin @ogiewon on this as well, as I think he has a lot of experience w/Sengled bulbs.

Finer control I suppose, but as far as I know, it won't work properly with HE apps (or Alexa) and you would have to do custom commands for everything. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Are you trying to make things more difficult :wink:

if (value <= 2000) genericName = "Sodium"
else if (value <= 2100) genericName = "Starlight"
else if (value < 2400) genericName = "Sunrise"
else if (value < 2800) genericName = "Incandescent"
else if (value < 3300) genericName = "Soft White"
else if (value < 3500) genericName = "Warm White"
else if (value < 4150) genericName = "Moonlight"
else if (value <= 5000) genericName = "Horizon"
else if (value < 5500) genericName = "Daylight"
else if (value < 6000) genericName = "Electronic"
else if (value <= 6500) genericName = "Skylight"
else if (value < 20000) genericName = "Polar"

I always prefer to make things as complicated as possible. so that I look even more like a genius when I make them work. Long-term self-image issues... :wink:

That is a really cool table! Thanks, that' s very helpful. I assume those are not Sengled-specific, and are applicable across Sengled, Hue, Cree, etc. Correct?

And to confirm - if an app has an "Incandescent" bulb option in it, will the CT setting it applies vary by app, and be what the app developer thinks is the best "Incandescent" setting?

1 Like

It’s a copy/paste from the generic zigbee rgbw driver on Hubitat’s Github.

Not certain. I thought it was decided by the driver, but not sure how. If it says “soft white” like Alexa, you can see on the driver page that Alexa sets it to 2700K, so you could check it out that way.

I see you have some answers to the above already, so I'll add what I think about the rest:

I'm guessing it's either that or the result of rounding (possibly in both directions) after the value gets set or reported. I can't personally tell the difference between values that close, so I've never worried about it. :slight_smile:

OK, so not a question, but: note that not all bulbs are equal. In my experience, Hue bulbs are capable of getting much warmer than Sengleds, even at the same reported (and supposedly in-range) color temperatures. For example, 2250K is pleasantly super-warm for me on a Hue bulb. The same on a Sengled looks only slightly warmer than 2700K, and the problem is exacerbated by the fact that Sengleds get cooler as you dim when set to sub-2700 temperatures (my guess is that they have more cool than warm LEDs and we see more of the former as they struggle to get down to lower levels, which they're also generally not as good at). tl;dr, this may be difficult.

This is just an attribute that the bulb's driver reports. The post above shows how Hubitat calculates this in their Generic Zigbee RGBW bulb driver (if the bulb is in CT mode), but presumably most are similar. Theoretically, any driver author could do what they think is best here. The value is only reported; it is not backwards-look-up-able (there's got to be a word for that...) or usable as an input to a command to set color/CT, so I've never considered these to be very important. (Alexa/Google Assistant do their own conversions if you ask things like "set XYZ to warm white," outside the driver's control; if you see inputs with these values in an app like RM, then the app is similarly choosing a CT for you). I suppose you could use them as a trigger to a rule or something to see if the color/CT changes "enough" or at least crosses some threshold...

Basically no, though I don't doubt that you could get something close. On Hubitat (and real life), RGBW bulbs are in one or two modes, RGB (for colors, including the HSL model Hubitat uses) or CT (for color temperature). Theoretically, you could probably find an HS value that's close to a certain CT, but I'm not a color model expert and don't know if maybe CT lives in a space that's difficult to address with HS coordinates. And actually, the (at least Zigbee bulb) reality is that there's a third color mode, XY, which I know can address either "colors" or CT, both with great specificity. However, Hubitat does not support setting or reporting this model. It is theoretically possible to convert to/from it and HSL/CT, but it's pretty difficult to do so accurately in the real world (I'm still working on figuring something out for my custom Hue Bridge integration). It's one of the reasons Ikea's color bulbs don't play well with Hubitat--this is the only model they implement.

2 Likes

Robert’s post reminded me that the Sengled is never going to match the Hue, except maybe in 3000-5000 CT range. The Sengled get very reddish in the low low CT range and the Hue don’t. Neither do Sylvania, but their A19 bulbs overheat.

1 Like

Thanks for the very detailed answer, very helpful and I've saved to my knowledge base so when I forget and get confused later I won't have to ask again! :slight_smile: