Presence Triggered

I am getting notifications in the middle of the night that my presence devices (Smart things presence) are arriving and departing, when they haven't. Due to this I wake to a # of alerts from Pushover, and I can see the same in the logs.

I have had these presence units for a while and have not seen this till within the last 2 weeks. I thought the first time was a fluke, but it is now occurring nightly, always around the same time 2:00 MDT.

I have not changed any other hardlined devices or repeaters, and checked they are online. The presence device batteries are above 75%, and this only occurs in the middle of the night, it has not occurred during the day when some of the same devices are present.

Any Presence Devices that are not actually present are not logged, so it is almost like a maintenance cycle running through the status of presence devices, but multiple times.

Has anyone else seen this or had this occur?

This is a common issue with these devices. Why only at night for you I couldn't say. That is around the time the hub does it's nightly backup but mine is consistently at 0305. If it's just starting I'm leaning towards battery. The battery life on these devices is notoriously bad. I modded both of mine with the AA battery hack. It may say 75% but I doubt it is, particularly if you've had it for a while. Battery reports are hit and miss as well for any battery device. There are numerous posts on the subject. I digress, I would also check what your presence timeout is set to for the device. Maybe go to 3 to see if it helps and/or change the batteries.

At around 2am-3am every night the Hubitat Hub performs routine maintenance. During this time, some things may get delayed a bit. I believe this could lead to the Hubitat hub missing a Zigbee message from the ST Presence Devices, thus resulting in the issue @DenverTech99 is experiencing.

I am tagging @mike.maxwell as I believe he may already be aware of this issue and may have some advice to share.

My advice would be to lengthen the default timeout on the device details page... or maybe you could somehow configure your automations to ignore these false alarms in th emiddle of the night?

Mine same time: 3.05am.
Must be some time that hubitat doing some self cleaning procedure.

yes...

I had to put 15min to stop 3.05am departure

1 of mine is set at 2 and the other at 3. The 3 is my wife's car which is apparently just farther enough away to cause an issue. Since changing hers to 3 I have not had that issue. Mine were also at random times.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I will adjust the timeout settings and see if that helps.

Changing the timeout to 3 has resolved the issue. Thanks again for the replies.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.