Presence trigger

So getting deeper in to RM. I've set up @Johndc7's iphone presence sensor. I've created the devices to be checked (and set reserved ip's in DHCP) I'm trying to write a simple rule that if 2 devices (mine and my wife's) phones are not present on the network that the doors automatically lock if they are unlocked (simply because we forgot). I see how to do "phone 1 OR phone 2" what I need to do is set it for "Phone AND Phone 2" so for the rule to trip that both phones must not be present but if one is the rule is ignored. Anyone wanna toss me a bone?

You can't AND triggers, but I'll leave off the full discussion of that since it can be found in a search.

To proceed as you stated, trigger on if either presences changes. Then in the rule actions, use conditional "If Phone1 AND Phone 2" are not present, lock the door.

There's lots of other ways to handle your situation; even apps just for doing presence things. But if you want to keep it simple with a rule, that's your bone.

2 Likes

I use a combined presence app. It aggregates various presence devices and people into one "we are home" virtual presence device.

You could then use that combined presence as your trigger.

Otherwise, the advice HAL9000 gave you is sound, despite him killing Dave and the crew on his last mission back in 2001. :smiley:

You really don't need to combine triggers like he said, that combining gets handled in the analysis of the rules in Actions.

2 Likes

Thank you, I mis spoke, I get the idea about and triggers.... I should have phrased it as conditions. I'll try it out

Which app are you using for presence?

That said, it was probably Wink that reprogrammed HAL... I mean look how it almost killed the rest of us

1 Like

Literally Combined Presence.

:+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.