Presence Sensor Concept

For any of the ST_Anything Experts out there...Is it feasible to modify one of the polling sensors and instead of using the usual ESP8266's MAC and IP, we manually enter our respective phone's details into the configuration. It sounds good on paper to me at least.

Hmmmm
@ogiewon?

Please expand on this concept a little more to help me understand the idea. I am not sure how ST_Anything would play into this concept? Do you want your Hubitat Hub to actively look for your phone to be on the home network? Or, do you want your phone to send some information to your Hub when it is on the home network?

Are you an Android or iOS user? If Android, can can use Tasker to call the Hubitat Maker API to update a virtual presence device. I believe you could have Tasker use the connection to your home WiFi as a trigger, or a Geofence.

If iOS, you could try Locative as I explained in this post...

I think what he's asking if for the hub to "poll" the phone and set the corresponding device driver to different states depending on the results of the poll.

The concept I had in mind was for Hubitat to poll my phone for it's presence.

Exactly. I am on Android by the way.

Actually I could see this in being an AWESOME solution for vehicles.

Scenario:

• Place arduino device in vehicle
  • Vehicle is in range for wifi arduino sets presence on
  • Vehicle leaves an HE APP (not rule) would see the device is gone and sets presence to off

This would solve my larger than expected geo-fence with both Life360 and HomeKit. Both are WAY to big for me to do automation without knowing the person is literally next to the house.

2 Likes

5V USB lighter adapter with an ESP8266 hanging off of it. Easy Peasy!

Powering it is. :slight_smile: Developing the code is the more difficult aspect of all this.

Perfect case for MQTT.

I struggle with wrapping my head around MQTT. I understand how awesome it is but have no idea how to even put my toe into that water.

I like the idea but I'm not sure how well an esp8266 would hold up in the Florida heat.

Then again, my current solution is doing really well so far. It's uses the SmartThings arrival sensor and AA batteries. Works really well for me. As soon as I pull into my driveway it registers. Another donation from our friend @Cobra

2 Likes

3 Likes

Were you thinking of running an app on your phone continuously to listen for the Hub's requests? Or were you thinking the hub could simply PING your phone's WiFi TCP/IP address? As far as I know, a simple ping capability is not currently exposed via the Hubitat API (I could definitely be wrong, though!)

Some folks use their router to send a message to the Hubitat Hub whenever a certain MAC address connects via WiFi.

See the following thread... The new Hubitat Maker API would greatly simplify this integration.

That's the Ticket!

@chuck.schwer is there any support in the Hubitat API to expose a ping type of command? Something to know whether of not a device is on the LAN, without having to run a http server on the network device?

I managed to get my Moto into devices, and Hubitat does try to 'talk' to it whenever I refresh the device. I just added it as a Hubduino Parent Ethernet. When it's connected to my WiFi...it refuses the connection request from Hubitat. But...when I take the Moto off WiFi, Hubitat gets the 'Host Unreachable' message. Take a look below. Could be a step in the right direction? By the way...TGIF!

No, we do not have any support for ICMP packets.

Thanks Chuck.

Couldn't you telnet to a raspberry pi and perform the ping command from there?

1 Like