Presence sensing sporadic and unreliable; let's please get this fixed

also wanted to note to this thread.

do you have you WIFI on phone turned on when home? I know for Android phones they use the WIFI to help locate also

for example phones will triangulate off 2-6 towers (ish) and put that as the location. however where im at I can only connect to one tower, this the phone just thinks it is at the tower location.

having my WIFI on lets the phone learn the location for the WIFI and will keep me pinned at home

that helped, but life 360 just does a much better job of location and honestly worth the extra 2-5% of battery per day

1 Like

google also save the the location of wifi and using that in the background to locate you lol

1 Like

If it was a "broken" feature it would have been removed by now. But is not. As many other similar threads have shown, some users have had success. If the majority of users would have your experience, I can assure you, that we wouldn't offer this feature.

Making this feature a more consistent user experience for everyone, is what our engineers are working on, and will continue to investigate/research how to improve the feature in the future.

3 Likes

Based on what? People will naturally take to an online forum when they’re having a problem. People that aren’t having an issue are far less likely to say anything, or even read through a thread devoted to the topic.

4 Likes

Our commitment to our users' privacy works against us, sometimes. It could probably be easier, more reliable if we could take our users data into a cloud, but we don't. You cannot breach someone's privacy if you respect their privacy to begin with.

7 Likes

Reading this thread it seems like those who have or had problems didn't make their own thread on this topic. They moved on to other solutions, and now have chimed in.

I've used this system for years and until recently never posted anything on here. Doesn't mean I haven't run into many of the same problems others have had with this and other things.

2 Likes

But from many of the posts here, finding you does not seem to be the problem. Users are saying the ap seems to know you are inside or outside the geofence, but somehow the info is not refreshing or being communicated.

I don’t doubt you’re having a problem and it must be frustrating. Others are too.

But any conclusion re: “more people than not” is simply not supportable based on information one could glean from reading this thread.

3 Likes

We can agree to disagree on that.

Just because everyone isn't up in arms about something not working as expected doesn't mean its actually working.

1 Like

Sure I can’t disagree with that. But that’s a different statement than:

2 Likes

i understand, my point was that's a lot of data to store - impractical really for a geo-fence app

this happens 2-4 times a year with L360 to me i have to "refresh" L360 in the hubitat once in a while

a phone will get stuck at my house or away from the house even though L360 shows it correctly - its like the message gets lost on the internet somewhere and there is no confirmation sent back to give the system a chance to correct.

Based on this thread...

My point is I dont see many people chiming in this thread saying they have no problems.

1 Like

Generally people who have no issues with geofencing aren’t browsing the community looking for threads on geofencing.

7 Likes

I’m not sure we’re actually discussing anything meaningful at this point. :v:

8 Likes

Okay, so let's take advantage of this. How do I use Google Home to control HSM mode?

Wish it was possible, but Google doesn't allow 3rd party providers to use their presence sensing feature since they retired Works with Nest program a few years ago.

2 Likes

Alexa does through a virtual switch.

I thought Google was "starting" to provide the same trigger-based option Alexa was for routines... Not to say it was available now, but I thought it would be available eventually... Could be wrong...

I have have an iPhone and mode manager sporadically doesn't switch the mode when I arrive home even though the phone shows as present. I'm one of those people that have the problem, but don't post about it. I just live with it assuming it'll be fixed some day.

2 Likes