Android Mobile App - Presence Greatly Delayed?

So this morning without making any changes its started working again on both mine and the wife phone?

UPDATE - seems to have fixed its self here only one day but has works correctly between me and the wife's phones 8 times in the last 24 hours

I have the same issue with me and my wife's S20. I use combine presence with Life360 and it's certainly seems like it's in the phone. When I arrive home and no presence events have taken place all I need to do is wake up my phone and open life360 then within 5s the presence event happens (dont know which event triggered the presence, Life360 or Hubitat but it does happen consistently like that). I've nauseatingly gone thru all the phone settings numerous times and there have been no smoking gun. There must be some under the hood obscure setting that hasn't been ID'd yet. But sometimes it does work so it's almost like there's a poll rate or update rate issue between the app(s) and the OS. Just haven't been able to pinpoint the issue yet. Hopefully there will a revelation soon.

1 Like

I guess I trusted the updated version of the Android app, and updated. WHAT a BIG mistake!
I do have 1.6.3 apk on my phone so I deleted 1.6.8 and re-installed 1.6.3 because it worked great.
We'll see if it still does though with the same phone I have had for several years... a Sammy S8.. yeah, I know... old... but it works and does everything I need.
The 1.6.8 version had the geo circle, then I logged out (on the phone) and logged back in and NO geo circle! No lat/long geo distance, all zero. So buh bye to 1.6.8!

This has been an ongoing problem that MANY have had, and there doesn't seem to be much priority to fix it.... bad news! Oh well, I will stick with 1.6.3

The missing geofence isn't necessarily a 1.6.3 issue. I'm on the latest 1.6.8 build and my geofence disappeared a couple months ago. It's discussed in a different thread. But no fix has been found. So now my Hubitat apps watches my comings and goings and always compares it to a lat/lon of 0.0/0.0. And since I'm never in the Atlantic near Africa, I never enter my geofence anymore.

I now use my Alexa presence to try to trigger my rules in Hubitat. But that only works about 70% of the time and even then usually pretty delayed. I just had to make a bunch of buttons on my app to declare when my wife or I has left or arrived. And then I have to check the app and hit a button if things aren't working. Kinda sucks doing it this way now.

Well from what I have experienced and tried, 1.6.8 never worked for me, and when I reverted to 1.6.3, things worked again.
On .8, I never had any long/lat or geofence circle and with .3 I did.
.3 also worked pretty good too.
just sayin'

There have been some conversations around this.

FWIW, I have all of the issues mentioned in this thread, right today, right now and haven't been able to identify the root of the problem. On very rare occasions HE will work but the general experience is HE app will show me inside the fence when I can be 10+ miles away, an update can sometimes be received anywhere from 15 minutes to 2+ hours late, but mostly it just doesn't work at all.

This is using a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra and version 1.6.8.128 of HE app.

On this phone, I also have Alexa and Samsung Smartthings apps. One peculiar observation I've made is that HE hardly ever works, Alexa is hit & miss but Smartthings seems to work almost every time. I wonder if Smartthings might have a little insider advantage that others may not have. Samsung = Smartthings

Another observation just for illustrative purposes only, I can bring up Google maps and if I zoom in far enough, GM can track my movement and show what side of the house I'm standing in in near real time, so the accuracy is there. Why can't apps like HE capture this same information?

Ok, so today I conducted an experiment. On my device (S22 Ultra) I have Samsung Smartthings, Alexa, IFTTT and Hubitat. They are all set up to send a message when exiting or entering the geofence area.

• Samsung ST - Reports exiting geofence at 5:46PM and returning at 6:01PM. Dead accurate
  • IFTTT - Reports exit at 5:47PM and returning at 6:15PM. Fairly accurate on exit, ~15 minute delay on return.
  • Alexa - No report either direction
  • Hubitat - No report either direction. In examining the debug file there were no events logged for exit or return.

Just a heads up, there is another optimization menu through the battery settings. I don't think Samsung did a very good job integrating their setting with the android setting so it can be finicky. I'm not sure if they fixed it, but as of a couple months ago, to get some apps to work you needed to do both.

The worst thing about it is that if you set the app to Unrestricted from the app info page, it will disappear from the battery settings page. Basically you have to set it in both places, but do it in the battery menu first.

2 Likes

@RodM are you referring to Adaptive Batter?
I would like to know, because My setup has worked without issue until recently. Those options haven't changed but that doesn't mean that the service hadn't been updated to make it not work.
Unrestricted and all have been setup that is the only option that haven't changed 2-3 years. Thank you for the information.

Adaptive Power Saving is another one that I completely forgot about. I have heard that can cause problems too.

I was thinking of Settings>Battery and device care>Battery>Background usage limits> add Hubitat(or whatever other apps you are having trouble with) to never sleeping apps. The issue is that the app must be added to never sleeping apps before switching to unrestricted in the app info menu.

I just confirmed that I was already using this setup, but my presence departures have been delayed recently as well, so who knows.

Once you select unrestricted in the app, it gets removed from the 'never sleeping apps' list. Those 2 look to be mutually exclusive.

I heard about doing both while tracking down issues with Spotify. I believe one setting is android, the other is from one ui. They seem redundant, but others have seen that they are not completely integrated as you would expect.

But yes that was my point, never sleeping apps has to be first in order to cover up for whatever bug in programming.

Ok, I'll see what happens, that's how I'm setup now. Thanks.

I've been playing around with the presence sensors for a few days. I'm still finding this being very inconsistent. All presence sensors fail in one way shape or form.
Has anyone able to get a consistent trigger? I've tried Alexa, google, IFTTT, Life360, and Hubitat without any success.
Has anyone seen and has anyone worked around this yet?

I use Life360 on my wife's phone and mine. Works without a hitch for arrival. We occasionally get a one minute or so delay when departing. Caveats being, we both have Pixel 6 Pros, we don't leave the house every day, and I only have rules written around departure.

Thanks Bob! I'm the only one on Samsung s10. I have been seeing many issues. It has been working for many years and now I'm seeing an issue with a Samsung update. Life360 coming and going is an issue and every other Geo Fencing. I'm working on a few things hoping to improve this.

So disappointed when my phone got a new beta update last night and didn't see anything about geofencing/location in the list of fixed things. Kept my hopes up that it might still have been resolved, but alas, no such luck. Left today for an hour and no change - didn't realize I was gone. So frustrating when it had worked perfectly for me on the beta and then mysteriously stopped working!

1 Like

I was excited too. My wife installed the new version (1.6.9), but I left mine on the older version (1.6.8). I'm not sure what setting I changed, but mine has been working well again lately. My wife's still doesn't work on either version, no matter what settings we change. I can tolerate when stuff doesn't work for me, because I'm the one that fixes it, but she's pretty hands off with the automations. Hers is the one I want working before mine.

I started having issues 1.6.8 I'm thinking it is a android or a Samsung phone issue with an update. I'm now on 1.6.9.. need more test but I don't think Iit has fixed anything.

Well, my phone presence started working very well again on or about the 8th. I had my wife's geofence turned off. I turned it back on last night to see how it goes. I know there was an app update but I thought it was after that, if it even had anything to do with it.
:man_shrugging:

Update: My wife's departure this morning was pretty spot on. :crossed_fingers: