Presence frequently switching when still home

I know. I got that all by your previous post. I'm simply confirming that's why i misunderstood what they heck they were talking about. I'm sitting here going "high accuracy setting?!?"

I also wasn't aware that the two apps deviated so substantially from each other. They haven't before this.

1 Like

Mobile presence detection on ios has always been difficult, in my experience.

Aggregating multiple solutions into one virtual sensor like @Tim-in-Ca mentioned above has provided the best reliability for me.

Edit: I can only guess that android and ios might handle app interactions with OS location settings in some way that's different enough for them to try adding this setting in ios to improve people's experience, but wouldn't apply to android or something.

1 Like

Curious what this does.. I have it disabled .. My geofence seems to be working fine, and quick...

I don't recall seeing a specific explanation of how it works. Best bet is not to use it unless the jump in battery use (it really is pretty extreme) doesn't affect your phone usage.

I've ditched mobile presence all together. I know use an Xbee in my car as an arrival sensor and that is closer to 100% reliable than any mobile solution I've ever tried. And between ST and HE, I've tried a lot of different solutions. And i mean A LOT. Wifi, Tasker, ST Arrival sensor, ST mobile app, IFTTT mobile app, HE mobile app, 3rd party mobile apps. If it's a presence solution (that's free) i've tried it.

I have to say, the absolute worst out of all of them has to be IFTTT. One day, it was 4 hours late detecting me arriving home. I was like, you're just figuring this out now?!? lol

3 Likes

Agreed re: IFTTT. Last time I tried their geolcation applet was maybe 3-4 years ago. It was so horrendous that I stopped and have never bothered to give it another chance.

I tried to use it to detect when I was at the airport (I travel frequently for work and wanted to make sure that "eco mode" was enable for extended away). I was at the airport for 3 hours...it never picked me up as being there. Completely useless. But then again, they never purported it was good. I don't know if they even still support that.

1 Like

I've started using the "less talented" man's version of that - a battery-powered Samsung sensor. But I can't use this alone because I frequently take Ubers/Lyfts. My vision is terrible and I don't like driving after watching Pelicans games or having more than a drink. Presence Governor seems to work pretty reliably for that use case.

1 Like

I used that for a while too..just didn't respond quickly enough for me.

My primary purpose for automating arrival is to open my garage automatically. I figure, if i'm in a Lyft, I can get my phone out and do it manually. Plus, I have a "shortcut" set to do my arrival routine without the garage door opening but turning on my driveway light so the driver can find my driveway (live in a condo development that follows a very liberal numbering system).

If you do frequently take Ubers though...did you know IFTTT has an integration for Uber? I use it to announce when my Uber is arriving to pick me up over my home speakers.

Yup I use it.

2 Likes

I had it set to trigger my good-bye routine at first but it jumped the gun on me once. I was left trying to scramble to disarm and rearm. Not fun.

2 Likes