Power plug on dryer

Iā€™m trying to figure out how to do an alert with rules machine to tell me when laundry in dryer is done.

The power meter is using: dome on off
I have access to acceleration, current, energy, power and voltage.

Power goes to 0 and acceleration go to inactive when the dryer finishes.

Ideally I could do When acceleration goes from active to inactive when send the alert. Or when power goes from 200+ to 0 but donā€™t keep sending it every minute as I only want to know if it dropped in last minute or two.

Thoughts?

Maybe start 2 rules. One rule is to monitor the power and accelerometer and the second rule to run when the first one is truth and send a notification when false? Probably there is an easier way. @bravenel?

Add a timer. That way you wonā€™t be notified of power dips, just extended off.

Am I able to do that in rules machine? Just really started playing with it.

Don't see why you couldn't do this with one rule, including the delay part.

Conditions: power = 0, acceleration = inactive
Rule: power = 0 AND acceleration = inactive
Action for true: Delay (cancel) 1 minute, send notification
Action for false: (nothing)

So, when the power becomes 0 AND the acceleration becomes inactive, wait 1 minute in case of brief pause, then send alert. Note that when you first put the rule in place it will be true and send the alert. But then it won't do anything until there is a change of rule-truth, which would happen when the dryer starts. At that point, the rule will become false, but nothing will happen. Then, when the dryer stops, the rule will become true and send the alert.

2 Likes

I think thereā€™s a chance this will send the alert when you load the dryer, due to the acceleration becoming active and the power is at 0. I had an acceleration sensor on a drying, and opening the door, or tossing clothes in it caused it to go active. Youā€™ll have to try it out to see. It could be that the 1 minute delay covers that situation, or you might need 2 minutes. Youā€™ll need to turn on some logging and see what actually is happening with that acceleration sensor.

@tomm1313
Iā€™m about to release a port of my app: Message Central from ST which has this option to send a message (pushover or sms) or play an mp3 etc.

You can configure it to alert once power goes below a set limit (and stays that way for n minutes) BUT only if it previously went over an ā€˜activateā€™ level (200?)

Iā€™m testing it now and will probably release it sometime tomorrow (UK)

Andy

1 Like

Perfect. Iā€™ll watch out for it. Thanks!

@tomm1313
If you want a spoken alert (or any mp3) then this will do it already for you:

It is taking longer than I thought to port over Message Central

Andy

1 Like

Iā€™m sure Andyā€™s port is going to work well for you. If not, I did this for my washer and dryer. Dryer works perfect, every time. I had a delay of 30 seconds for the dryer because I was using ST for notifications and wanted to be sure they happened. Now that Iā€™m using IFTTT, it can be removed. Washer delay is longer because the current fluctuates close to the off state, toward the end of a cycle, as it shifts the clothes for a high speed spin, and then again to loosen clothing from the drum at the end of the cycle. Havenā€™t figured out how to consistently avoid multiple notifications toward the end of a cycle yet. Dryer drops to 0 every time though, and is very reliable with just a single notification that is always accurate.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.