Power monitor outlet for refrigerator

How do u use a zen15 on dryer... dryers are either gas or 220

In your position I would purchase a Kill-a-watt meter. Plug the refrigerator in and manually monitor. This assumes the plug is not blocked by the refrigerator.

I've found this device surprisingly accurate and it totals the KW-hr internally.
I know it is not Hubitat capable but sometimes not everything is a nail just because you have a hammer.

3 Likes

I have a rule that turns the switch back on if it is turned off.

3 Likes

As Gomez Addams would say “capital idea!”

I have a gas dryer. It has an electric motor to rotate the drum.

2 Likes

I'm thinking I might have just discovered this situation ?

And maybe before I send the Sinope back I should see if I can affect the reporting rate.

One option is a Kasa KP115. It's WiFi and has great community support. Defaults to last power state so after a power outage would come back on. I try not to put power monitoring devices on my zwave network.

Oh and the control is local.

It sounds like you have one.
Is this a setting that can be changed, so that, for instance, when the power comes back in, the switch is 'off''?

Thanks.

No, it can't be.

There's not really a way to do that. The devices have a physical switch in them that will naturally be in the same position when power comes back that it was in when the power went out. Best you could do is turn the switch off as soon as power comes back, but that would still result in the device switching on for a short time before switching off.

Tuya zigbee plugs have a power return switch position setting. You'll have to check it works in hubitat, but it's good in smartlife. Some of my switches are always on just as energy monitors. They'll come back as on, or off, depending on setting.

There are various ratings of tuya zigbee sockets. 10/13/16/20a if I remember right, aliexpress - I buy from a store called Germa.

2 Likes

Zooz' z-wave products typically do this as well.

The ZigBee Securifi Peanut plug has an optional return to last state.

For the ST driver I added an option to lock out remote power off requests, as I use it for our deep freezer. That way I don't accidentally turn it off remotely.

Same for the Tuya plugs in HE :

3 Likes

Yeah, only that doesn't work. It has a nasty habit of switching freezers and fridges off in my experience.

@RosieUK this is a problem with the Zigbee plug itself ( false over-voltage shut off ). It happens with Tuya Zigbee hub (or any other Zigbee hub), happens even if the plug is operated offline, not paired to a hub, Some manufacturers provided a firmware patch for this issue, some not.

The 'Always On' option that I mentioned above prevents the plug to be switched off accidentally from HE (by sending an OFF command). It will not do anything if the plug was switched off locally - either from the physical switch/knob on the device or because of this overvoltage shut-off problem.

That'd explain a lot. My voltages here vary from 240v to 245v or higher but I'm not sure why, it seems that the further from the supply, the higher the voltage :woman_shrugging:. I've set up one plug that needs to be an always on (as it is set) with a simple if off turn on automation but I'm not entirely happy with it... It has bodge written through it like Blackpool Rock. If its relatively stable I'll replace the ones I had to pull with the same style of automation - but it's not a way I'm particularly happy with..

If anyone has any automation suggestions that will add a little bit of "not being a fireball" security I'd be interested. I'm absolutely sure I'm not the only one using Tuya zigbee plugs on hubitat...

You right “I'm absolutely sure I'm not the only one using Tuya zigbee plugs on hubitat...”

The issue seems to be that every build of these devices seems to be different in some not insignificant way.
I suspect “ Tuya” is being used as a “catch all” for a huge variety of copies all driven down to the lowest cost.

2 Likes

Really weird that my ZEN04 z-wave plugs behave the same. I have my auto on/off set to on, so the outlet turns itself on after it (erroneously) turns itself off. I have had it shut down at a minimum for (bogus) watts and amps. It seems that mostly small transformers and motors are do this, at a minimum.

Curious, is your ZEN04 a relay output? If so could you go inside and "wire" the relay permanently ON?