Powder Room Rule

I posted this message on Facebook too -- looking for any help possible.

Looking for examples of powder room rules. My major problem with trying to get an automation written is that my powder room door stays closed the majority of time (door swings out in the hallway) and this is the only bathroom downstairs (except for the master) so folks might vegetate (hmmm) for a bit. I have both a contact and motion sensor set up. (I even tried to set motion sensor time out to 5 minutes, and that didn't seem to be enough time for folks. I tried to tell them to move some, but hmmm.....) Any examples out there?

Question - what type of sensor are you using? is PIR an alternative since it doesnt require any motion, just a heat source in the room.

I'm getting ready to do the same thing, small powder room, thinking PIR only and no other sensors...

Personally I don't care about having instant on and off motion on lights. If I want the light on I turn it on. My main concern is for my automations to turn the lights off if someone leaves them on. I would think a 15 minute timeout would be good if you can get good placement on your motion sensor. If someone doesn't move in 15 minutes then you probably need to check on them.

1 Like

I actually have two motion sensors in the room (Smartthings Motion Sensor and Hue motion sensor (set at 10 seconds).

I did this in my old house for closets. Not a single kid could turn OFF a closet light. So every closet light had a 7 minute timer.

Turn it on, walk away, it's off 7 minutes later, no motion, no other sensors. Getting dressed and it goes off? either finish dressing in the dark or reach around the door frame and turn it on again.

So yeah, for a powder room just have a 15 mins off after turned on is perfect. Honestly if you're still on the throne after 15 minutes it's probably a good thing to force you to get up and turn it back on so you don't get a blood clot....

1 Like