Potential Newbie to Hubitat

Nah ... :grin: the goal is to look smart. Make your house interact with you. No buttons, no voice. That's how I roll. Completely interactive. My house just seems to know what I need. When I started in home automation, the husband set one edict in place "no song and dance or begging for a light to turn on". He'd just as soon walk to the switch instead of yelling at some snarky woman to flip it for him. (I'm not that snarky @neonturbo) :grin: So no buttons, no dashboards, except for my phone when I'm away. Voice works, but we don't use it regularly. We just keep on keepin' on. That's how we like it.

1 Like

Right now, Hubitat is going through a few weeks of teething pain with its new C-7 hub, which is the first Z-Wave 700 series radio hub, so Hubitat is finding and working around all the bugs in the 700 series protocol stack. It will settle down after a few more firmware releases.

2 Likes

My take, having read your background above on ST, is some thing will frustrate you at first (as has already been mentioned, keep an open mind because HE is different to ST) but you will absolutely love HE and this community, will quickly move on from voice control to full, fast, local home automation :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, and hopefully will contribute a great deal to the community based on your experience and extensive knowledge elsewhere. Looking forward to you switching over and it going well for you!

Philips Hue and Harmony certainly work, I use them both. There is a community developed driver for harmony and a mixture of built in apps / drivers for hue along with community developed utilities for more tailored features. I have kept my hue lights and rules on my hue bridge, mostly due to the fact they were already there, the general consensus on the community that was the way to go and a small issue with hue dimmers and long button holds. I can, and do, call back to the hue bridge to initiate commands for my hue lights, so having them on the bridge doesn't mean you can't interact with them from the HE hub, you get the best of both worlds.

I'd suggest you read some of the threads on the community as you start to transition to HE, there's some good tips on what to do and what not to do, including setting up a zigbee mesh, zwave mesh, etc.