Potential Newbie to Hubitat

Hello! Will give it a shot.. don't know all the answers but you can search the forums of course..

1. Lots of wired wall switches that are mostly Zwave GE and other brands.
  • Generally these will be okay. If they are not ZW+ devices you may have issues with polling slowing things down. ST hides this process in their cloud processing (I think).
  1. Philips Hue
  • Compatible
  1. Lots of Sonos
  • compatible depending upon what you want to do.
  1. Lots of Amazon Alexa
  • compatible depending upon what you want to do.
  1. Current user of Echo Speaks. Will it work?
  • dunno don't use it.. search the forums.
  1. Current user of Webcore. Lots of Pistons. Will it work?
  • it should. WebCoRE works great on the HE now. You might want to think about setting up a local WC server though just in case.
  1. MyQ SmartApp for Chamberlain Garage Door and MyQ light switch. Will it work?
  1. Logitech Harmony Hubs (3). Is there integration?
  • dunno don't use it.. but I think there are 3rd party solutions in the forums.
  1. Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect.
  • Not since Google shut off the API. There are ways around it and my info could be outdated. Check the forums.
  1. Centralite Alarm Keypad (used it for Smart Home Monitor)
  1. GoControl Multfunction Sirens
  • I think so but don't use it.. check compatibility list and forums.
  1. Peanut Plugs (generic Zwave use)
  • Peanut Plugs are Zigbee not Z-Wave and may have repeater issues so ymmv
  1. KuKu Harmony SmartApp for Harmony Hub API access
  1. Lots of SmartThings Sensors and various motion detectors.
  • Generally yes but check the compatibility list.
  1. A Zigbee wireless button controllers
  • ???? in theory maybe. The ST one works great (I use it).
  1. I control EVERYTHING with Amazon Alexa via voice. I would use Hubitat to manage the automations and provide connection to the devices.
  • Alexa skill works really well but you'd have to investigate further.
1 Like

No integration for this.

These are zigbee plugs that many of us had problems with and switched to Samsung, Sylvania, or Iris outlets.

Depends which version, but should be listed.

Yes. Be careful how many you add. Very chatty.

1 Like

I dumped echo speaks and use the alexa integration on node red installed on a rasberry pi. Works well, but seems to be running into the token issue every 14 days. Saves the hub from all the chatting. That's why they killed it on smartthings. I have GE switches. Work well, but a bear to reset and pair. There's a trick - Resetting GE Z-Wave in wall paddle switches to factory defaults - YouTube :point_left: this worked for me
Peanuts are unstable. They dance around on different routes and make things crazy. Some people haven't seen it, but it is at your own risk.

I use nodered on the following automations
harmony - but I have the harmony integrated to the hub
alexa functions
all rules are on node red.
MyQ in itself is slow and cumbersome. My dad has one. Takes around 30 minutes for it to report that it's been opened. His home is NOT smart at all. So .. blame the app, not Hubitat on that one.
You'll need the hub for Phillips hue for best results

1 Like

So, Hubitat has no support for Alexa at all? I can't believe there is no MyQ support. Does Hubitat support the SmartThings IDE or SmartApps?

Yes, there is native Hubitat Alexa/Amazon integration. That is the one where you talk to Alexa to say "turn off the lights" or whatever. That totally works great.

What the others are talking about is Echo Speaks, which is the other way around, you can make Alexa say something like "Wash Machine Done". That is the community based Echo Speaks app.

There is, but just like Smartthings, it is a community based app and is a backdoor into MyQ. It works OK for most people, but MyQ regularly tries to break it to prevent people from using it outide their app.

No, but I think you are asking "can you upload your own OR community based apps and drivers". In that case, the answer is yes.

Wrong. It does support MyQ through a user ported driver, ported from SmartThings. Requires you to add a contact sensor so driver knows if door is closed (I use Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7).

Best way to install is to use Hubitat Package Manager.

1 Like

So, there are community written Hubitat compatible code that can be uploaded to the hub presumably from Github? Is that how to achieve extensions for niche devices?

Let me clarify. You can connect hubitat and alexa. I have done so, BUT I use nodered for voice announcements instead of echo speaks.

1 Like

Yep, that’s why this community forum is so helpful.

1 Like

Simple to get Alexa to control Hubitat stuff.

1 Like

Echo Speaks is important to me because I have written a lot of Webcore pistons that do things like look at sensors and report values.

The HE implementation of what we call the IDE on ST is superior:

1. There is a Hubitat Package Manager that simplifies and automates app/driver installs and updates to them when they are released.
  2. Adding new drivers/apps from code (e.g., GitHub route) is done directly in the same Hubitat UI you use to control your system, create automations and button controls, etc. Nicely integrated.
  3. You can use both HE 'built-in" apps and drivers, and community generated apps/drivers.
  4. The developer community is very active and lots of cool stuff is available. More than you will expect.
  5. Drivers and apps are frequently ported from ST groovy to HE groovy. So you'll see some old friends.
  6. It's just better than ST, and there is a very active community of developers.
3 Likes

I guess my question would be ... how can you make it better? I feel like you don't want to really look at what hubitat can do for you. I merely said that I didn't use it. Not that it wasn't available. Don't get stuck in that rut. If you're going to take the time to migrate, would you be open to looking at what hubitat can really do for you instead of picking up the box and setting it on the new hub and expecting it to work like the old?
:thinking:

I used to be huge into webcore, but I came from ST at a time where this was all tossed up in the air. And I was P1ssed about it. But, I decided that I was going to embrace the hub and see what it could do and I've never regretted it. I moved on from webcore and into rule machine and on to node red. Obviously rules managers are a choice, but I really think that if you look at it without basing things on what you already have set up, you'll find new and more efficient automation ideas and fall in love with it like the rest of us. IMHO

5 Likes

@danabw, now you are making me feel better. I still notice there is integration for Echo Speaks according to my searches. I have done ST for five years now. I am very literate in ST SmartApps and ST Custom Device Handlers. I am wanting something more stable and I very much want out from under a company changing the code in the cloud and breaking me. By the way, everything I read says the Hubitat hub costs $79, yet I can only find it for $129? What's up?

1 Like

Normal pricing vs sale pricing. It occasionally goes on sale, but there is no guarantee when that might happen. Often it has been on or around the major US holidays. But that isn't set in stone, and who know if it will happen again, or when.

Great comments. I am certainly not scared to adopt something new. I have also been reading about Home Assistant and I find it attractive only in the sense that I could implement it in a Docker or LXC container, but the learning curve might be overwhelming. Hubitat looks like a better choice. My choice of control point is voice. That being said, I have nine Amazon Alexa devices distributed throughout the house and I prefer to continue using them.

Look at buttons at some point. Hubitat has an excellent button implementation that is far superior to most or many other hubs. A lot of us have Lutron Pico just for the buttons (Lutron ProBridge required). You can do virtually everything with a button on Hubitat.

Many of us also do (nearly) full automation with motion, contact, or other sensors. I moved to this instead of Alexa for the most part, and it is so nice to have things just work without that "I'm not sure how to do that" or "I'm not sure what went wrong" crap. I don't even touch switches hardly at all anymore. I just "happens" when I walk into a room, open the garage, or whatever.

2 Likes

you can certainly still use them. There is a connection to alexa that you can set up to expose your Hubitat devices to Alexa for control. So scenes or voice is very doable. Other echo connections have been spotty in any flavor when it comes to voice announcements. Usually a token issue. Echo speaks on HE has been proven to be very, VERY chatty, which is why I dumped it and do voice announcements through NR, to my Alexa devices which you CAN also do in a docker container instead of a RPi. The community here has many solutions for one problem. There is no right way to do something. Only a different way. There are several Home Assistant migrants here as well. I've not used it, but I hear that doing anything was very cumbersome and that is why they switched. Hubitat isn't perfect ... yet. It's growing and the community is like none other. Very respectful and helpful.

1 Like

Nah ... :grin: the goal is to look smart. Make your house interact with you. No buttons, no voice. That's how I roll. Completely interactive. My house just seems to know what I need. When I started in home automation, the husband set one edict in place "no song and dance or begging for a light to turn on". He'd just as soon walk to the switch instead of yelling at some snarky woman to flip it for him. (I'm not that snarky @neonturbo) :grin: So no buttons, no dashboards, except for my phone when I'm away. Voice works, but we don't use it regularly. We just keep on keepin' on. That's how we like it.

1 Like

Right now, Hubitat is going through a few weeks of teething pain with its new C-7 hub, which is the first Z-Wave 700 series radio hub, so Hubitat is finding and working around all the bugs in the 700 series protocol stack. It will settle down after a few more firmware releases.

2 Likes