Possum Alert!

You might want to limit the access points close to the house, if you can, i.e. trees or other structures they could climb up to then access the roof.

I can remember the first few nights I spent at my sisters with the rumble on the roof as they scurried from one side to the other. Like me, the cat couldn't relax.... Thankfully a corrugated steel roof meant they were less likely to setup home in the roof cavity.

3 Likes

Good advice. Unless they can jump 20 feet they ain't getting on the roof. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The Australian Hang-Gliding Possums evolved to get around those types of barriers...

Thought I was kidding, didn't ya!?

6 Likes

We only have non-marsupial flying squirrels here on the East Coast of the US..

3 Likes

I have live oak trees overhanging the front and back of my house. So during acorn season (Fall), squirrels used to jump on my roof all the time. Luckily, they didn’t break into the attic or chew on anything.

I got a metal roof in 2018. The following Fall there were several shrieking squirrels who jumped on my roof, had nothing to grab, and slid right off. They’re quick learners though, and must “teach” experiences to successive generations, because I very rarely hear a squirrel shrieking as it slides off the roof now.

5 Likes

As long as they land safely, I would love to hear/see this. :wink:

2 Likes

I should re-phrase that. What I meant is that squirrels very rarely jump on my roof now. Here's what it sounds like:

1. You hear the thump of the squirrel
  2. You hear some frantic scratching as it's trying to grab the metal
  3. You hear a high pitched "mouse" shriek as it goes off the roof

I've only seen one - it was a few years ago. And it landed on a holly that I had in my backyard. That holly was running into the live oak, so it was cut down. They'll fall on the fence or on mud now. Haven't seen any dead squirrels ever - so even if they fall on the ground, they can apparently scamper away.

2 Likes

I'm pretty sure I should feel bad about this, but I laughed when I read your description. And I like squirrels. :smiley:

2 Likes

..fried and with mashed potatoes.

:rofl:

5 Likes

Yup.

1 Like

I've seen these guys walk on our electricity lines so unfortunately they can still get across, but yes I really should trim some of the close tree branches back this summer!

Update #2. Removed the sealed area due to scratching in our roof space just in case they actually couldn't get out the previous night. Replaced my sensor in the hole but it went off and turned out it/they actually pulled the paper ball INTO the hole instead of pushing it out (twice in fact) This was about 8 so I knew it wasn't time for them to leave yet. Fortunately there is only one way for them to walk out of there so tonight I'm moving my sensor "ball" onto their path.

I really should set up another contact sensor to determine whether they are coming or going as well. Probably hang one of the Arlo's outside also :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Sounds like you're having too much fun with them there....:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Would they not fry in the roof space during the day since it's now in the middle of summer? I would have thought they would have liked somewhere cooler to spend the day :person_shrugging:

Even on a very mild day it is still 34 in my roof, not a place I would want to be... Though I should be getting up there to sort out my aerial...

1 Like

Man vs Animal..... I will not be bested.

That's what I would have thought but apparently they managed to do quite well before.

1 Like

No offense, and we're rooting for you, but I think you're overmatched from the start. :wink:

1 Like

With dumplings and cornbread.

2 Likes

Of course, you could just train them.

1 Like

We had to cut down a very tall tree in our backyard as the little buggers where using it to get onto and into our 2 storey house roof. They would actually lift up tiles and slide under! Clever little rascals!

Thankfully that did the trick!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.