Possible to modify existing driver?

I am very new to Hubitat, so I apologize if my question is off base. However, I did try searching the community and didn't find an answer, so here goes.

I just installed several Zooz Zen27 dimmers running firmware 2.07. Starting with 2.07, these dimmers support setting a physical ramp rate (parameter 9) of 0. However the current "Zooz Central Scene Dimmer" driver only supports values of 1-98 currently.

I was able to set parameter 9 to zero on one of my switches by temporarily changing the driver to the "Basic Z-Wave Tool" and manually setting parameter 9.

However, I was thinking it would be a simple change to driver to allow a zero value. So my question is, where can I find the code for the "Zooz Central Scene Dimmer" so that I can tweak the built in one and make my own custom version? I looked for a git repo, but didn't find any links in the developer guides. Is there someway on the hub to see all the driver code?

Thanks for any pointers!

Hubitat internal apps & drivers are not open source.

Andy

Like @Cobra said, barring the couple public examples Hubitat provides on Github, the internal ones are not made available. However, there are LOTS of examples of different drivers out there. So if you are willing, you can always find one that is close to what you want and modify it to suit your needs. Just make sure to properly attribute where it originally came from if you do.

Most people are happy to let others use their published drivers... But you need to make sure to follow the license provided (usually it just requires that you acknowledge the original creator/contributors).

Last, there is a thread out there now for people to bring up missing features or missing drivers for Z-Wave devices. You can make a request there. Here is a link.

In the meantime, you can set any parameter you wish (in a Z-Wave device) by using Mike Maxwell's "Basic Z-Wave Tool".
You can search the forum and find the link.

Basically you:

1. Temporarily replace you device driver with the "Basic Z-Wave Tool".
  2. Set whatever parameters you wish
  3. Revert to the original driver.

This is only practical for parameters you set and forget, but its an option.

Sounds like I should just continue to use the "Basic Z-Wave Tool" process to change my dimmers new firmware parameter option given that this is a one time change.

Thanks everyone for the information!

We've also teamed up with @bcopeland who'll be releasing custom drivers for the switches in the near future. The ZEN27 beta release is available here.

2 Likes

Yea... Wanted to have that beta out last night.. I got behind.. I’ll try and have that beta tonight..

1 Like