Possible Issue with upgrading in 1.1.6 and Kwikset 910

Whatever you need me to do including granting you all access I will do to assist in fixing this.

I'm wondering if my issue is distance? If I put another repeater in-between the last repeater and the lock, then do a z-wave repair, then test status updates again will that be a decent test for distance?

I think its the only thing you can try honestly...
How far from the hub is this lock?

1 Like

About 20-25 feet then through a wall. But there is a z-wave ge switch at the mid-point...

Just a note as I've chimed in on this thread a couple of times given I've had lots of inconsistencies with my 910. I kept thinking it was due to various software updates but ultimately its was my Zwave signaling. IMHO these locks are very picky and need a good strong Zwave signal to consistently work. I placed a ZWave repeating outlet literally 5 feet from my door lock and have zero issues since.

2 Likes

that is so good to hear, it certainly keeps me from loosing my mind, and it gets you and probably others back up to speed...

1 Like

Is what I heard about those Lowe's switches true? They repeat zigbee and z-wave? I might have to but one and replace the one I'm using on my lamp to extend my zigbee network to do both...

yes, the newer ones have a zwave logo on the back, now having said that I don't know if that's the best repeater for a lock, others will have to chime in on that.

1 Like

My ZWave Lock is between 3 other powered devices.

ZWave repeating is supposed to "reach" for the most distant repeater AND there can only be 4 total in a path. Add in "the mesh is invisible" and it's a wonder this works anywhere but Mike Maxwell's house, since he has so many devices.

All of my devices above are "in line" with the Linear Garage Door Opener. It works (and paired) fine too.

Which basically means, I have no idea which of my powered devices are the repeaters. :slight_smile:

I should fire up OZWCP and let it tell me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I just got my hubitat yesterday. Was able to unpair it from the wink hub 2 that it was attached to. I reset the lock entirely with holding down the lock button. Hubitat found it immediately. However, I am not able to view the status, lock, or unlock at all within hubitat. I have tried resetting and repairing a few times, as well as a z-wave repair. The lock has a clear line of sight of about 10 feet to the hubitat itself. Nothing in the way. My entire home is peppered with z-wave devices which have all been set up and are running fine. I am at a loss of what to do at this point. Any suggestions? Maybe exclude and re-pair - again?

The Zwave radios in locks spend most of their time sleeping. The hub sends out a lock/unlock command several times and if the lock Zwave radio is on and receiving, and within radio range of the hub, it should respond. Once the commands have been issued, the hub goes on about its business. If the lock Zwave radio is not on and misses the command obviously nothing happens. A Zwave beaming repeater, a line powered Zwave Plus device should be able to capture the lock/unlock command and forward the command to the lock when the Zwave radio becomes active. Make sure you have a Zwave Plus device across from the lock.
I am quite sure that when the lock was new, Wink and Kwikset spent lots of time creating some special magic to make the lock work well. If you have Zwave Plus plug in devices you might temporarily move one to them to test.

1 Like

Did the lock pair in secure mode...? The behavior you describe sounds like it paired unsecured...; at least my locks behaved exactly this way when paired unsecured.

No amount of repeaters will fix an unsecure pair.

Move the hub to within inches from the lock and pair securely. Move hub back & run ZW repair.

Also, and I am no expert on this, perhaps not all repeaters repeat secure devices??

1 Like