[PORT] LG Smart TV Discovery 2012+

so I have a c9 and a c7 I was using this with the c9 all good. But now my c9 is not connected. So I am re doing things and I got the c7 to work, but the c9 gets discovered and everything, but it won't pair. It never gives me the option to accept? What am I doing wrong? I had it working before then it stopped. How do i get the c9 paired again?

Is this still a thing?

As i have this problem, once its on i can send commands, but if my commands include the turning on then i get a solid amount of time that it wont action any of the other inputs ive added to a rule after the power.

well Just responding to myself in case someone else has this problem. I removed the lg discovery app then re added it. I then went through the process again and this time when the tv came up I hit the done button, and this time the prompt came up on the tv and allowed me to add it.

Hi Guys,
Any reason why this would only work with one set? I had the 0.2.4 driver installed and it was only seeing the LG in my bedroom, removed the device, uninstalled the app and installed the 0.2.5 version here, now it only sees the LG in my family room and not the one in the bedroom. The bedroom unit is a 2016 or thereabouts.

Are there any instructions for this app?

The LG app is installed using HPM

Running the app it finds the TV

Then this is where it just sits for hours....

Sat in front of the tv, no messages on tv, the tv is on and working.

It is on Ethernet.

Is it doing something very very slowly?

Turning on debug

1962021-02-20 13:50:12.489 errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'LG WebOS TV' in namespace 'syepes' not found on line 171 (updated)

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:12.477 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery addDevice() - ip: 192.168.1.138, mac: 201742F45871, type: WEBOS, pairKey: null, dni: C0A8018A_201742F45871_WEBOS_0BB8, Hub: 1

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:12.472 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery addDevice()

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:12.466 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery initialize()

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:12.464 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery updated()

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:07.076 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery televisionAuthenticate()

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:06.089 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery televisionsDiscovered() - Discovered List: device=201742F45871!C0A8018A!1!WEBOS

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:06.085 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery getLGTvs() - ['device':'201742F45871!C0A8018A!1!WEBOS']

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:06.083 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery televisionsDiscovered()

app:1962021-02-20 13:50:06.080 debugLG WebOS TV Discovery televisionDiscovery()

app:1962021-02-20 13:48:43.574 errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'LG WebOS TV' in namespace 'syepes' not found on line 171 (updated)

app:1962021-02-20 13:39:52.909 errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'LG WebOS TV' in namespace 'syepes' not found on line 171 (updated)

app:1962021-02-20 13:36:01.111 errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'LG WebOS TV' in namespace 'syepes' not found on line 171 (updated)

app:1962021-02-20 13:35:38.237 errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'LG WebOS TV' in namespace 'syepes' not found on line 171 (updated)

app:1962021-02-20 13:35:15.359 warnLG WebOS TV Discovery televisionAuthenticate() - No TV selected

app:1962021-02-20 13:34:54.406 errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'LG WebOS TV' in namespace 'syepes' not found on line 171 (updated)

app:1962021-02-20 13:22:43.111 errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'LG WebOS TV' in namespace 'syepes' not found on line 171 (updated)

app:1962021-02-20 13:21:53.436 errorcom.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'LG WebOS TV' in namespace 'syepes' not found on line 171 (installed)

Ok solved it.

HPM only installed the lg mouse drive and did not install the web os tv driver

So used HPM to repair LG OS tv and it installed both drivers, ran lg is tv again and it all worked perfect!

1 Like

Is there some way I can pass a URL to the WebOs browser in RM? I can manage to start WebOs and the browser, but can't really see where to go after that...

Thanks in advance...

I can't Revove my old Living Room TV from the device list - the red button is greyed out. Any tips?

I've tried to remove all 'in use by' but a bunch of those rule machine rules don't have anything to do with the TV I want to remove. No hidden conditions either.

Also, I can't change the device type either - LG WebOS TV is greyed out too.

Wake on LAN still a problem? So I love this port and it does turn off my TV in the morning as I normally fall asleep with the TV on. However the Wake On Lan or Power on has never worked. I did notice that if I am using and apps on my phone like youtube, the LG TV shows up as an option to Cast to even if the TV is off. If I select it, it powers the TV on and starts playing the clip. Is the TV perhaps looking for a broadcast packet to wake it? When this happens, I am not able to ping the TV until it wakes up. The TV is connected via Ethernet. Thanks!
(Yes, I have made sure that Mobile TV is set to ON)

First thing you check is to make sure the MAC address saved in your TV driver is correct.

Second make sure your TV is set for wired, not wireless (my LG will let me run both at the same time, and the LG discovery just used the first one it found) Unless you know your TVs LAN IP and are looking for it during discovery, you could be discovering wireless by mistake.

If that doesn't work you could also try a dedicated WOL app, then create a virtual switch in that app directed to wake your TV.

I am having the power on problem on my LG as well. Using the wired IP and WOL is set on. Tv commands work from driver and it does power off. The power on used to work. There might have been a software update for the LG tv recently???
I also uninstalled then reinstalled the drivers. v0.3.0 running webOS 3.9.0-62705

any suggestions??

Hey all,

Desperately looking for a method to adjust the backlight level on my LG oled automatically (thinking of using the outdoor lux value in OpenWeatherMap for Hubitat)

It is possible to do this with a python library. Is this just a matter of formatting the right json command?

See here for the python library

Example

import asyncio
from aiopylgtv import WebOsClient

async def runloop():
    client = await WebOsClient.create('192.168.1.53')
    await client.connect()

await client.set_input("HDMI_2")
    await client.start_calibration(picMode="expert1")
    await client.ddc_reset(picMode="expert1")
    await client.set_oled_light(picMode="expert1", value=26)
    await client.set_contrast(picMode="expert1", value=100)
    await client.upload_1d_lut_from_file(picMode="expert1", filename="test.cal")
    await client.upload_3d_lut_bt709_from_file(picMode="expert1", filename="test3d.cube")
    await client.upload_3d_lut_bt2020_from_file(picMode="expert1", filename="test3d.cube")
    await client.end_calibration(picMode="expert1")

await client.disconnect()

asyncio.run(runloop())

So looking through the code I see the value is simply called "backlight" and it's passed like this:

"backlight": "80" ###skipping a few lines
uri = "com.webos.settingsservice/setSystemSettings"
params = {"category": "picture", "settings": settings}

How might I format the JSON command properly?

OLED’s, by their design, do not have Backlight.
OLED are emissive displays - each and every pixel is an LED.
This is unlike LCD which relies on a backlight array of several dozen/hundred LED’s to provide the light to pass through the LCD panel.
LCD and QLED(Samsung) rely on a backlighting technology.
OLED does not.

There will be some “dimming” function on the OLED that you’ll be wanting to use.

LG uses Backlight as a synonym for the "OLED Light" setting (the drive level of the oled pixels). It's function is independent of contrast and black level and comes pretty close in effect to what the LED backlight seting does.
See: Best Picture Settings for your LG 4K or 4K OLED - TV | LG USA Support
and: OLED Light. What is it? | AVS Forum

Same problem here. Not turning on. All installed, All dependencies accounted for, all working except "On" I have tried everything I can think of.

Did you ever get it to turn on? Every control I send to the TV other than ON works. When I send ON [input] says off.
I can turn it on and off with the LG ThinQ app generally with no issues. The only time I can't turn it on is sometimes after I turn it off from Hubitat, it will show as disconnected in LG ThinQ app.

I'm currently wired in. I've tried the IP addresses for the wifi and wired connections.

Disconnected the LAN connection and it works. I guess WIFI only for turning it on via Hubitat.

I have LG C8. Can I use any of the app/driver listed in this thread to know when the LG remote was used to pause or stop media playback? We watch movies on my tv using the media player within the tv from my external harddisk. When I pause a movie, it will be nice to have lights brighten up a bit.

I'll add my voice to the chorus of folks who can't get the ON command to work. Everything is perfect; can't make the ON command work no matter what I try.

A couple interesting observations from troubleshooting:

• my ON worked for quite awhile, then all of sudden stopped a couple weeks ago. Mysterious. I did have to upgrade my mesh router -- maybe that's why. I have 4 LG TVs -- all models from the last year or two. The ON command stopped working on all of them. Besides that one command, they all work flawlessly -- thank you @asj.j
  • some have reported using 2.4g instead of 5.0g on wifi made a difference. Didn't for me.
  • others reported that using wireless vs. wired made a difference. Didn't for me.
  • I was able to get the LG TV Plus app to turn on the TV, but not consistently. A clue perhaps.
  • I tried a WOL app and it didn't work either, but I only tried briefly and gave up.
  • Yes, Mobile TV is set to ON.

I called LG support yesterday (kill me now!). They of course didn't want to lift a finger ("Why don't you submit a feature request?" :hot_face:), but I insisted they should find out if WOL was restricted or some other change was made to firmware. They said they'll get back to me Thursday. Uh huh, we'll see about that.

Any ideas?