[Deprecated] Gentle Wake Up

@bptworld Unless I'm misunderstanding your code the start and end level variable names are wrong in the config section (startTempLevel and endTempLevel instead of startLevel and endLevel) causing any changes there to be ignored and the default 'oldSettings' to be used.

I've had a couple of rude wakeups this week where the lights came on much brighter than I would have expected but I couldn't work previously work out why!

I've made a pull request with the changes.

Not my code... This is a PORT.

I'll go ahead and merge your request.. Hope it works! :wink:

edit: It's live ...

I keep getting this error, and the light does not turn on. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the app, along with the virtual switch it creates multiple times. I have tried changing the duration and start/end levels of the dimmer. The dimmer works fine via dashboard as well as from the device page. The device is a GE dimmer, and it doesn't throw any errors.

Summary

This text will be hidden

Looking at your settings in the screenshot (3rd screenshot down). The duration has not been set. Please go into 'Duration and Direction' and hit 'Done', then hit 'Done' again to go back to the apps listing.

Now hit the 'cog' next to the child app and show me that screenshot again with the settings section.

Thanks

The duration and direction are set. I have entered all those settings from scratch multiple times. In the child app page it appears set? It doesn't make a difference in the settings "cog" page when I did the set duration and levels again, it is identical to the above posted screenshot.

Just for fun, I will try setting again and see what happens tomorrow AM. The other thing I should have mentioned was it was working perfect for a long time. At some point it would very occasionally miss events. I think it was the latest hub update where the whole thing just went tits up.

I set a new time of day, I erased and typed in a duration, direction, and levels (didn't just save what was there). It still didn't work. Same exact error code, in fact you could use the first screenshot above except offset the times by an hour.

Here is the updated settings page:

New version on GitHub...

Child:
V2.0.1 - 01/31/20 - Trying to fix a reported error

Totally deleted app, parent, child, and driver. Started from a clean slate. Reinstalled all.

Added a child app, selected dimmer, and typed in 30 minutes, 0-99%. Selected debug logging, and named/saved child app.

I get this error in the logs, not sure if it means anything or not. Also, here is the updated device page, it looks like the "start levels" now has a valid number...

See what happens tomorrow!

Wait, isn't this supposed to create a device? I can't find the device even after deleting and installing the app (both parent and child) a couple times now.

I had to delete the device it created in the past, so I know it did at one point work.

When this App is installed, it will create a controller device which you can use in other Apps for even more customizable automation!

Is that the error referenced in my previous post?

Yes, you didn't install the driver

If you are talking about the actual driver itself in the Hubitat driver section, then yes I did... Like I stated, I deleted all the GWU apps and drivers and downloaded fresh copies and installed them yesterday after you posted your new updated child app.

Is there now something in the app I have to install separately?

Edited to add: the light turned on this AM, so at least that part seems to work now.

you have to replace "hubitat" with "smartthings" in line 402 of the child app.
then it creates the device correct.
Not a programmer, but I guess it refers to the author of the driver which is smartthings

Wow, that totally fixed the lack of driver issue.

Now if I could figure out why the color temp doesn't change properly... No errors or anything to go off of though. I just changed to a CT capable bulb, so I don't know if it ever worked correctly.

I just hit the same snag.
I went the other way: Changed the namesapce to hubitat in the driver.

Maybe I can finally power down the Smarththings hub.
GWU was the last thing running on it.

The only issue I've run into is that I can't stop/cancel the dimming when I turn the light OFF (since these are Hue lights and you dont get an event when the light is turned off via my Hue Switch),
So I might need to connect the Hue switch to HE directly, so I could monitor the switch events.
Nothing is ever easy.

So if I am using Hubitat, I still need to rename it Smartthings in line 402?

I am not a programmer although I think it would be great to learn groovy. But I don't have time.

I have a couple items that I would like to see if anyone could make a couple changes.

1. When I use the gentle wake up, the light turns on with the previous settings and then goes to zero to start the dimming. So I get a Flash of bright light to start. It would be great if it could truly start at zero. I am working on a RM workaround to set the level at zero as part of a nightly routine.

2. Could it be possible to also add a button to be able to trigger the action? I have a button by the side of the bed, it would be awsome to push the button and have the uplights go from 100 down to 0.

yes, that will make the device work. It's just a given name in the code, got nothing to do with the actual hardware.
But if you prefer hubitat you can change the namespace in the driver, as Berthoven suggested.

Unfortunately a device for the controller was never created.

I've been using this a couple days and I do like it. However, I have two issues that I hope you can help with:

1. When I setup an app to go to sleep (i.e. Dim from 80% to 0%), at the end the light is still on 14% and does not turn off. Am I doing something wrong? Since it's going from something to 0%, I would expect it would be OFF at the end of the cycle.

2. Can this be set to NOT have a time component? i.e. My wife has a wacky schedule(and so do I lately) and I want to use this to both go to sleep and to wake up by starting it manually. However, I am forced to enter a time for a trigger but we do not use it at a consistent time. Last night, it started up at midnight because I had 12:00 in for the time...and she wasn't very happy about that..haha. Oops.

Any help is appreciated

Would need a log to see what's going on.

Nope, that' the way it was deigned.

Remember this is a Port, which means it was designed for another system. At some point someone asked for it to be moved over to HE, so I did. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a true HE app would have. Maybe someday I'll rewrite it but not anytime soon.

Also remember, since this is a port... feel free to pick away at it and change whatever you want/like!