Poor results after power outage

Flip the switch off and then back on.

2 Likes

lolz...

Button controllers...

3 Likes

the question was how do I turn lights on and off outside of HE, a button controller would still require a hub, no? or are we talking something like z-wave associations?

I am impressed actually. Hopefully I will get there one day.

1 Like

Yes

No

Smart bulbs are always going to be an issue without someone in charge of them...

I'm not a fan of zwave associations, or touch link in the case of zigbee, but they are options...

The point is, when the hub is back on, with picos you have total control again. I find after a power outage, the easiest thing to do to recover is to force the system to away mode (aka do whatever you do when everyone is gone) and then your back home "routine" or process. If that doesn't 100% recover you, then it wouldn't have been right if you came home at that time either.

1 Like

Because its not. Hubitat, ST, and other hubs are purely event driven and built on a principle of action-reaction. When events are missed or lost they cannot be "made up" because there is no action to react against.

2 Likes

Maybe this is why HA is still so confusing to a lot of people. Why cant it be state-based first, and then event-driven over that?

1 Like

Yeah, would be nice to have something like that,, oh wait! :wink:

subscribe(location, "systemStart", methodToRunOnStartup)

6 Likes

And that's usable in RM, simple lighting, motion lighting, etc, etc? :grin:

Come on man, you just found out about this! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I was being a smart ass. That will possibly be pretty handy in a few of my apps, thanks!

2 Likes

For many states, mainly sensors, it just doesn't make sense.
Events are transient, time really has no meaning for them, they fire, then we program the system to go do something...
So you're power goes out, when that happened, your garage door was open, all your locks were unlocked, 6 motion sensors were active, and the heat was on 75 degrees...
It's time for bed, you lock all the doors, shut the garage, set the heat to 68...
It's now 3AM and the power comes back...
Do you really want all the doors to unlock, have the garage door open, and the heat crank back up?

2 Likes

For your example, the mode would set the items to their appropriate states. ie I wouldn't have the garage open or the locks unlocked in night mode.

I see we are at the intersection of machine behavior vs predicting what the human wanted or intended. For me, I most certainly wanted the hub to come back in the right mode based purely on time of day. is that too much to ask?

1 Like

Iā€™m confused by the argument here. Some say use a switch and some say the hub should catch up and others want ( for some strange reason ) the hub to not catch up. Iā€™ve had some form of automation since X-10. I thought we wanted to get to the point from remote control to actual automated daily tasks. If the power is off for 5 ( 1, 10, or 36 ) hours I want the system to be at the state it should be if the power didnā€™t fail. I want the lights on or off, the temperature as it should be and whatever else was supposed to be doing or not doing something to be done. Thatā€™s automation. Everything and anything else is just remote control with auto assist. I guess my confusion is do we want a box so we can impress our friends by saying ā€œliving room onā€ and a tinker box to futz with because we donā€™t have an outdoor hobby or do we want a process that is seemless and does the daily things - daily. Those mundane tasks that even the Maid and Butler hate doing, those items that we as humans have determined we are too lazy to do manually. Personally I want an automated process that requires as little time futzing with as possible. If I have to spend an hour or two a week ā€œmessing withā€ an automation system I may as well spend 15 minutes a week flipping light switches and filling the bird bath myself.
If the power fails, it should be at the state it would as if the power never went down - period.

3 Likes

And that is my point exactly. That's what YOU want. That is not what I want.

it's really easy to say the system should do this or the system should do that based on what your preference is are, but your preferences aren't the same as everyone else's.

If I get into an unknown state the LAST thing I want the Hub to do is assume what I want done next.

When you get to a state of unknown I think it is very appropriate for a human to intervene and reset to a known condition.

What I want the system I do on normal operation, is very dependent on it being in a known state. What it does after a power outage, especially an extended power outage that crosses modes, may be very different than what I would want to do on normal behavior.

It may be very different because I'm going to do a lot of manual things during the power outage that I would not normally do. So for my house it would be a very bad assumption that when the power comes on I want it to do what it normally does in that mode, at least initially.

Now, to be fair, if it could restore everything to current state as an option that everyone doesn't have to live with I guess that would be fine. I have no issues with you wanting the system to work the way you want, as long as it is not enforced on everyone else.

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™ve misunderstood, but no one in your family or guests ever physically interacts with a switch or button device to control your lights? Like not ever?

In reality, you cant make that many changes to the state of things if the power is out. in mikes example, you probably cant close the garage door or change the thermostat if the power is out.

As little as possible, I though that was the idea? switches are so last year... :smiley: