Plug inactive, but turned on?

I bought some ThirdReality plugs to build out my home mesh, and I presume that has worked. 3/4 of them are just plugged in to spare outlets with nothing actually plugged in to them.

I am using the Device Watchdog app to report devices with low battery, as well as devices that have been inactive. Well, the plugs are showing up as inactive but I don't know why.

On one of the devices page, it shows:

Create Time 2023-01-18 4:35:11pm PST
Last Update Time 2023-01-21 9:22:06pm PST
Last Activity At 2023-01-22 9:44:32am PST
Controller Type ZGB
Data * endpointId: 01
  • application: 13
  • manufacturer: Third Reality, Inc
  • model: 3RSP019BZ
  • powerCluster: none|
    |In Use By|* DW Status Auto (Device Watchdog Child)|

But in the logs, it seems to report its status every 3 minutes (also isn't every 3 minutes QUITE frequently/spamming the network?)

dev:232023-01-26 12:47:31.657 PMinfoGarage Ceiling Plug is on [physical]

What driver are you using? What does it show in the attributes on the device page itself? Do they support power reporting? Being outlets they aren't going to report as battery to device watchdog.

Just using the generic zigbee outlet

Which yeah you make a good point. Maybe I’m thinking about it wrong or there is a different/better solution?

I’d imagine that every device still “talks” throughout the network and so you know it’s there and part of the mesh.

On top of my separate low battery report - which is certainly a primary way to monitor things… I want to keep tabs on the devices in my smart home and know if they’re no longer part of the system? Whether they somehow failed, accidentally unplugged, etc.

Device watchdog will certainly watch the device just not the battery as there isn't any. :grin:

Its the Last Activity date that the app checks for. The Generic zigbee outlet driver has a bug (I call it a bug anyway) where it only pushes an event if the state of the device changes. Really it should push the event no matter what and let the hub decide if its a change or not. If it pushed the event every time the Last Activity would update when you refresh the device and when it reported any events.

I did find out that if power reporting is turned on (even if device does not report power) then the Last Activity will update. I think I ran into some other odd side effect so I ended up turning it back off.

And yes reporting its status every 3 minutes is excessive. You could try resetting it and pairing it again, it will drop right into the same device on the hub so no harm in doing it. May fix whatever setting is bugged up and making it report so often.

Here is my favorite activity check app: [RELEASE] Device Activity Check - Get notifications for "inactive" devices

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.