Please help with my rule

Hi all,

I recently posted in the Facebook group but was hoping for a bit more help.

I have a rule set up to turn by bathroom fan on according to humidity.
However, it seems to take forever for it to actually drop humidity so I was hoping to set something up where once itā€™s past a certain time to just turn off. Hate having to hear it while going to sleep. You can see what I have set up so far in pics . It not what I want, but kinda gets the job done. I know there is definitely a better way to go about it.

Ideally, I would like the first IF statement to turn on fan and then turn it off after 5 minutes once the light switch is turned off this way while showering and such the fan continues to run. I can probably have a WAIT FOR SWITCH OFF event but then how can I have it that if the light is on for extended period of time to just turn off based of drop in humidity. Also, another issue I have is that if the fan turns off after 5 minutes a few minutes later the rule triggers again since the humidity is still high. Is there a way that this rule can be suspended so it doesnā€™t keep triggering?

Thank you in advance

I'm sure there are many ways to skin that cat, but I use a local variable to compare previous readings...

It's a long story as to why, but running the fan for 20 minutes after triggering via shower is what works best for us.

The "Time since..." clause near the top is to prevent a fast re-trigger in cases where whooshing the shower curtain back in place may waft a strong enough rush of residual humidity at the sensor. The 5-minute stepping-stone in there is to turn it off early in case a plain bath triggers it (sometimes does, sometimes not).

Anyway, here's my rule... It's been working great for us for over a year now...

ETA - I use a Zooz ZSE44 as my humidity sensor and have it report a humidity change ā‰„ 5

1 Like

That is for sure, what I do is use two rules. An on and an off rule. I have the same issue I don't want the fan running after we go to bad, for that I use mode. In night mode the fan will not turn on, unless the lights are on in the bathroom.

The on rule starts the process. once started that rule is paused and the off rule starts monitoring to determine when to turn off.

I limit the on cycle to 1 hour increments. Once the fan is turned on via the rule or manually it will run for 15 minutes. Then If the humidity does not reach the low level in the next 45 minutes it turns off for 30 minutes. After the 30 minute delay it unpauses the on rule and runs it again which starts the cycle over.

In the ON rule there are many checks to determine if I want the fan on, humidity, hot water being used, day, time, state of the lights. Basically the humidity level is lower in the mornings when I usually take my shower. If over 58 it comes on regardless.

So as @hydro311 suggest there are many ways to approach this, below is mine.

The on rule:

The off rule:

1 Like

have you loioked at smarter humidity app?

I use the below app to handle the fans in all the bathrooms in the house. I did edit line 183 in the app code after install to change "minHumidity" to "maxHumidity" so that the fans would kick off once humidity got below the top end of the range.

From there, the RM becomes much simpler where you only need actions to handle the lights and turning things off. You can have the above app create a child device and just turn that off when heading to bed to kill the fan earlier.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.