Playing MP3 on raspberry pi

Thanks for posting that - very interesting. Have you seen/played around with this node?

Also came across this node which looks cool and is sort of related.. wonder how you would implement it though.. plays audio in "the browser" - so the UI? Dashboard? dunno.

I haven't, but I will look into it. I think that I've figured out a better way though.... Chromecast integration. I have a couple of Chromecast Audio's collecting dust. They are about to get repurposed!

1 Like

... I was answering your messages to the NO REPLY address LOL

OK, for me, I'm using everything 100% local, and extremely light. no node red, and no chromecast. I wrote the device for hubitat, and I wrote a tiny application in the RPi that cat as a TCP server. If your solution doesn't suit you, let me know.

Will do, thanks! Your solution sounds perfect, but my Chromecast Audio with Hubitat’s TTS is working perfectly. The audio out on the Pi produced a light buzzing sound, where the Chromecast Audio doesn’t do that and the voice sounds good. I haven’t tried it without internet, so that may be the downfall to my method; although I don’t use internet often.

If I remember right, there was a conflict with the TTS message while you are listening musing on the chromecast. Either the music stopped and didn't restart, or the volume changed... I can't remember the exact problem at the time.
Of course, I can't use TTS in local mode. I have to create every phrase I want in MP3.

Yeah, I thought that may be an issue. I am using a 6 zone Whole Home Audio amp with 6 inputs. I am setting up some routines to switch to the Chromecast Audio input just for the TTS portion and then automatically switch to the music input after the phrase is spoken. This is mostly to let guests know that the amp is on and which input is selected, since they will be using a pico remote on the back deck with no visual indication of what is happening. I have Amazon Echo's, so I am using one of those as the music source on the second input of the amp.

1 Like

I have something im working on if you want to try it. Still needs work.
Yes its robotic but I think this is the best you can do without a cloud.
And I am only going to use the PI on the lan.
But it can also play chimes, sounds or alarms out the PI. So you can play prerecorded speech files.

Interesting... I’m going to give it a try later on....

@iris , this looks like a pretty neat project and possibly what I'm looking for. I'm moving off of Homeseer, but one thing I liked about it was having a centralized announcement location for both sounds/alerts and TTS. I have an amp down in the wiring closet, and there are ceiling speakers throughout the house wired to a switcher at that location. It was great being able to have TTS announcements throughout the house, and I also liked playing Westminster chimes on the hour during the day. Are you still using your solution? Has it been solid?

Best wishes,

--David