Plantation shutters controller (tuya 433mhz)

Might anyone know if these plantation shutter controller (open and close ) can or have been integrated to Hubitat?

Automatic Curtain Poles Motoram20 App Voice Remote Controller Plantation Shutters Motors - Buy Decorative Wood Shutters Motors,Automatic Curtain Motor With Wifi Control,Remote Shutter Motor Product on Alibaba.com?

1 Like

Not directly. You could try using the tuya hub integration (requires a tuya hub)

The lack of direct integration is just lacking a driver or need 433mhz wifi add on? My old Vera unit has a 433mhz wifi add on (usb) that I used to use for outdoor bling extension

Some kind of bridge device would be needed that has a 433 MHz radio and can connect to your LAN. Then a Hubitat driver could be written, if the devices have an API that is published (or reverse-engineered).

WiFi runs on 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

1 Like

You might be able to use a bond hub to integrate into Hubitat (Don't quote me on that. Someone else here with a bond hub could answer better than I)

As there are many device that still use 433mhz I am surprised Hubitat does not have an option for some kind of usb add on. Adding in other hubs to support devices kind of defeats my purpose of selecting Hubitat, I often see home assistant mentioned on these forums as the goto when Hubitat is lacking but I am still trying to work through with Hubitat at this stage

Hubitat is primarily Zigbee and Z-wave and a smattering of 100% local only wifi integrations. (Lifx, shelley, nanoleaf etc). My primary switches in my house are Lutron Caseta which is clear connect that many of us swear by because they are just tanks yet they require a seperate hub for integration. I also have some shite zigbee 1.2 zll bulbs (you don't want 1.2 zll on the same mesh as ZHA devices (sensors and whatnot) so those are on a hue bridge, again with 100% local integration like Lutron. Then I have several apple homepods that act as Homekit hubs in which devices that only connect to Homekit can be integrated into hubitat. So adding a bond hub is pretty normal for people which is why there is native bond integration in Hubitat. Out of everything my Hubitat controls it all... Not to mention I have multiple Hubitats with Hubmesh enabled so I can share devices between them. My point is in any given system including Home Assistant, having multiple hubs is normal. HA supports many things but a lot of those things also require secondary hubs. Then there are people that use lets say Node-Red to do rules instead of the built in rule machine or add in rpi's for additional integrations (including HA)..... No reason to limit yourself. The goal is stability and functionality and of course staying with 100% local control...

Home Assistant is an open-source project that runs on many different kinds of hardware, with hundreds or thousands of people around the world contributing code. So it’s more likely to be compatible with a wider range of devices.

But the trade offs are that some people find it harder to setup and use, and there are more opportunities for bugs to be introduced, or even breaking changes, when updates are released.

You can use a Broadlink RM4 Pro with 433 and 315 MHz devices.

As long as the device doesn't use rolling codes or some other complicated security scheme, the Broadlink remote might be a good and relatively cheap option: Broadlink IR/RF remotes integration (RM3 Mini, RM Pro, RM4 Mini/Pro)

You would also need a 433 MHz remote that you could pair to the shutter controller and use for learning the RF codes by the Broadlink remote.

3 Likes

This might be the best and easiest option, I assum broadlink pro can be integrated into Hubitat with out adding another hub?

Yes, check the link in my previous message. I wrote a Hubitat integration that works with the Broadlink remotes.

Nice find! That would have been great when I had plantation shutters, but that house is in my past now. There was a startup selling something very similar to these a long time ago, but they went belly up, and this is a much better design anyway.

Personally I'd be tempted to just control them with HE, a virtual motion sensor/switch combination and an Alexa routine. But, as @tomw mentioned, the RM4 Pro absolutely works with 433MHz devices and it's instant. I use it for our 433MHz ceiling fan and it's very solid. Quite a low cost option if you don't want to use an Alexa routine.

1 Like

There is a zigbee version of this device. I posted about it somewhere here not too long ago.

I considered buying one for @kkossev so a driver could be built lol

My plantation shutters werein yesterday so im very interested in this as well.

Here is the amazon link

https://a.co/d/4uoav9p

And another

https://www.amazon.com/Plantation-Shutters-Electric-Automatic-Rechargeable/dp/B0B74S4FVH/ref=pd_gwm_ci_mcx_mr_hp_btf_m?pd_rd_w=xyjt8&content-id=amzn1.sym.3d40a4b7-0948-48cc-b72b-18150d629981&pf_rd_p=3d40a4b7-0948-48cc-b72b-18150d629981&pf_rd_r=SW3XMFVXSXXMT6KQF682&pd_rd_wg=vquve&pd_rd_r=70bbe27b-34b7-406d-a4fd-1d07a16a5e16&pd_rd_i=B0B74S4FVH

1 Like

One seems quite expensive and the other looks like it needs a zigbee usb converter (“has to have constant power”) and possibly proprietary hub ( not sure about the latter). I would be interested to follow which version you choose and the experience

The Zigbee version may be working already with the Zemismart Zigbee Blind driver.

1 Like

I realize this is a very old thread, but I just stumbled across your posts...

I bought two of these from Amazon around 18 months ago for about $200 each. Upon arrival, they looked cheap, mounted with two-sided tape and attached to the shutters with a small plastic clip - I had very low expectations.

My plantation shutters are framed into my window frame and swing open for cleaning, etc. In order to hide these devices, I mounted them on the inside of the shutters. When the shutters are swung shut, the devices barely fit between the shutter and the frame. Therefore, when the shutters are swung shut, the micro USB port is inaccessible, rendering a Zigbee module, Z-Wave module or solar charger pretty much useless.

I tried buying the Tuya hub and controlling them through the Tuya app. They connected fine, but control via the Tuya app (cloud based API) was unreliable at best.

However, the RF remotes work perfectly, every time and the functionality of devices were surprisingly great.

I bought 18 more from AliExpress (without the Z-Wave or Zigbee module) for about $15 a piece.

The setup took some time. I have them in four rooms so i had to setup each room on a separate channel. Half of the windows in each room are hinged on the right, the other half hinged on the left, so you have to reverse the direction on half of the devices. I also set the "Open Limit" on each device to about halfway, to conserve battery.

For my master bedroom, I bought a Broadlink RM4 Pro in order to control them via Hubitat. That took a bit of work and some experimenting with the location of the RM4 in order to reliably control all six at once. - If I had to do it over again, I may try a BOND product instead.

My shutters are not small, about 30" x 72" each. In 18 months, the only maintenance has been remounting two (likely my fault for a bad initial mount) and to charge them twice. Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised by the functionality and reliability of these obviously cheap, Chinese products.

2 Likes