Pico Lutron

Is there anyway to speed it up? I press the pico remote and it takes almost 2 seconds to react to a Lutron light to turn off.

If the only purpose/function of that Pico is to control that light why not associate it directly? Then there's zero delay at all. You can still have the Pico in Hubitat for status of knowing when the button is pressed and do other things as well.

3 Likes

2 seconds?

I love Picos for their speed. I just tested one that's about a foot away... touched the button I've assigned to light (in this room) off. Less than half a second. Touched the button I've assigned to On... also less than half a second.

That's my normal experience with them. I'm not using 'fast pico' driver.. I'm using the push/hold/release one that has a delay to detect those.

I tap a button and the little green light blinks rapidly... before the green light finishes, my room light is off (or on).

Logs:

dev:838 2019-06-26 09:46:40.468 pm info Office WallSwitch was turned on [digital]
app:805 2019-06-26 09:46:40.106 pm info Turning On: [Office WallSwitch]
dev:766 2019-06-26 09:46:40.031 pm info Office Pico button 1 was pushed

dev:838 2019-06-26 09:46:38.903 pm info Office WallSwitch was turned off [digital]
app:805 2019-06-26 09:46:38.547 pm info Turning Off: [Office WallSwitch]
dev:766 2019-06-26 09:46:38.378 pm info Office Pico button 5 was pushed

dev:838 2019-06-26 09:42:42.490 pm info Office WallSwitch was turned on [digital]
app:805 2019-06-26 09:42:42.121 pm info Turning On: [Office WallSwitch]
dev:766 2019-06-26 09:42:42.039 pm info Office Pico button 1 was pushed

dev:838 2019-06-26 09:42:41.362 pm info Office WallSwitch was turned off [digital]
app:805 2019-06-26 09:42:41.008 pm info Turning Off: [Office WallSwitch]
dev:766 2019-06-26 09:42:40.915 pm info Office Pico button 5 was pushed

about 400 ms.. so... yep, under half a second. :slight_smile:

Are you using the "regular" or the "fast" Pico driver? The above advice is good and would definitely get the best response time since it all stays in the Lutron ecosystem; if you want to also control other things, you'll still get the event in Hubitat and can react appropriately. But either way, the fast driver will eliminate a few hundred milliseconds of wait time on a "push" that the non-fast driver would otherwise wait for just to make sure you aren't holding (a function you'd lose on the fast driver). Still, as @csteele mentioned, regardless of driver, two seconds doesn't seem normal, even if you're going Lutron to Hubitat and back to Lutron (it's just a few couple hops on your LAN), but I only have Picos, so I can't actually try that myself.

I have seen a few seconds of delay when I use a Pico on Hubitat for the first time since booting the hub. Yes, that was me who mentioned this in the Hubitat Live comments the other week. Contrary to staff hypotheses, the issue isn't that I'm trying to use it right after the hub boots without waiting for it to finish doing its post-boot tasks--it can be a day later and I'll realize (when i get the delay on my first use), "oh yeah, I rebooted yesterday for that firmware update." I think staff might not notice this problem because most of them probably have either in-wall dimmers or switches or higher-end systems like RA2 with motion sensors that probably send events over telnet and "initialize" the telnet connection before they try a Pico, but Picos are all I have, so nothign else would be getting sent over telnet before I do something myself. (I probably don't mean "initialize" in the technical sense here, since I once had a rule that ran initialize() on the bridge integration after hub boot, and that didn't eliminate the delay. Only pressing the button on a Pico seems to do it.)

I don't suppose my experience could match yours? Does it happen every time or just the first time? Mine is just a minor annoyance I've worked around by trying to remember to (sometimes needlessly) press a Pico after I reboot a hub so they actually respond quick enough the next time I want to use one that I don't mistakenly think something is broken.

there is a delay in the lutron hub if you are using a pico that is programmed in hubitat to control a lutron light. best solution is to just associate it in the lutron hub and use hubitat only for additive features.

for example, I have picos associated lights in the lutron hub, but If I hold down he button it will have hubitat turn off all the lights on the floor.

2 Likes