Physical Switch Press and Smart Lights

Hello Everyone

I looked through the history and cant see anything about this so here it goes.

I have UltraPro smart switches that I also have a Wiz smart light in. The UltraPro switches differentiate between physical and virtual presses.

My question is, is there a way to make the physical presses of a switch dim the smart light to 0%?

I ask because if the switch it physically turned off the lights don't work until you turn the switch back on somehow, either virtually or physically.

While I'm not familiar with the WiZ driver in particular, generally, "0" is not a le.vel.that dimmable devices report (just their last level, including what it was before if they are turned off), and a "Set Level" command with 0 as the level is the same as an "Off" (though you may be able to specify a transition time). So I'm not sure that what you're asking for would work as you expect even if you could--but I don't think you can in the first place, since a bulb with no power won't be able to receive commands (and device states are generally not updated until the device is heard back from, regardless of what commands you send).

The best solution is to keep the bulb always powered. Some switches support disabling the relay (or more generally, disabling local control) so that physical presses do not affect the load--though ideally they'd still send something back to the hub so you can respond to that event (and, for example, turn the bulbs off). I'm not familiar with your particular switch, but you could see if it supports something like that. If you're not attached to this particular switch, you could also replace it with one or supplement it with a button/remote device instead. But I don't see a good way around the bulbs becoming "dumb" when the power is cut without finding a way to not actually cut it in the first place. :slight_smile:

This is really what I'm looking for wasn't sure how to ask.

I am not familiar with the switch you are using, but on those I am familiar with, there is typically a setting in the Device’s driver to disable physical button presses.

If that is not an option in your case, an alternative, is your electric code allows it, would be to connect the bulb directly to power hence bypassing the switch. That way, it would always be on.

Aren't those just Jasco/Honeywell/GE/Enbrighten rebrands?

If so, there probably isn't a good way to do this via software settings (smart bulb mode). There ARE switches like some of the Zooz and Inovelli that DO support smart bulb mode.

The easiest thing to do would be to not use a smart bulb and a smart switch together. Unless you really need that for some reason?

Or you should change out the switch for one that is appropriate for this purpose.

They are, looks like i'll have to swap those ones out thanks for the info.