Physical Events Not Logging Consistently

So, quick question is the issue you are experiencing a display quirk aka the actual event is in the device event log but the device view doesn’t update properly?

Nope. It’s not in the event log. It doesn’t trigger the Rule Machine rule. Not until I hit refresh or programatically change the state in the devices page.

OK. So that means 1 of 2 things either the device didn’t send the status or we didn’t get it.

When you click refresh, we are sending out a command to the device and then we are getting the response.

Does moving the hub closer change anything?

How many other zwave hubs do you have running?

What I am trying to avoid is messing up my mesh for ST during this transition. I will move a few more switches and test a few scenarios this weekend and share results.

If you have any other ideas of things you want me to try, please let me know. I want to make this successful. But given other people that have migrated more devices are experiencing similar results I fear there is something else causing this or a backup plan is needed. I have mostly focused on one section of my house at this point as a test plus a few switches that turn on based on time of day.

@ogiewon curios to know how much of your HA remains on ST and how solid your Hubitat mesh is compared to what it was on ST.

I have pretty much everything running on Hubitat, except for an old ST original Multisensor, and old ST original Motion sensor, some old ST original presence sensors, and my Aeon Power Meter (used for monitoring my washer and dryer.) That being said, I really don't have a ton of devices like some users. My HubDuino has been running very reliably now for a few weeks, and always updates everything correctly.

That being said, I actually don't use any Physical Switch events as triggers currently. However, I have noticed that missing the Physical events is messing up my use of SmartTiles as a dashboard, and my Homebridge integration. Since the state in inconsistent, I will often have to flip a switch in SmartTiles or Homekit multiple times to get things synchronized.

I have also reported an issue with the Cree Bulb Driver where it is not properly updating the status of all of its attributes reliably. Mike Maxwell says he's found and fixed that particular bug in that driver. Just waiting on the next firmware update.

Hopefully this can get sorted out soon as I agree it is important to have all device states current and correct. I have created a recurring Rule Machine rule that issues a refresh() command to each of my GE Z-Wave switches that don't reliably report Physical Events. This happens once a minute, and has helped somewhat.

1 Like

There is a flaw in this logic. By definition as you move devices out of the ST mesh it is going to weaken and become less reliable. At the same time, the Hubitat mesh is in the same condition, not fully fleshed out. What I did was move all 75 of my z-wave devices in one day. They were working fine in ST before the move, and they worked fine in Hubitat after the move. I did have the simplifying factor of having mostly Leviton devices, with just a few from other manufacturers, so I knew they worked before doing the massive move. Nevertheless, all of my devices moved easily and my mesh has been very solid for over a year. Also, I started with the devices closest to the hub, and worked my way out from there, staying mindful of the path the mesh would build over. I did one or two z-wave repairs along the way.

1 Like

I completely agree. With my U shaped house everything on the first floor on one side of the U has been moved over (my family room and my master bedroom suite). Devices as close as a foot from hub are migrated and move out from there. So I believe I have a good Zwave mesh for Hubitat to reach the farthest devices. I just find it interesting that physical events are only logged when the hub is close. I would expect those to pass through the mesh. I guess ST covered that up through the polling.

For the time being I did relocate Hubitat in my family room AV cabinet which is closer to the master suite and away from the ST hub and wireless router. This has helped the mesh but has impacted physical event logging for devices that were closer to previous location in my networking closet.

As I understand it there is more than one technique for a controller to obtain status change information for Z-Wave devices that do not use the Lutron patented status reporting, and polling is not the only way.

Some controllers take advantage of the ‘associate’ command that the devices send out when they are operated locally. The controller can infer that a physical on/off/dim event has happened and then use that info to issue a refresh and obtain the current status, or I guess, just assume the switch has toggled. This doesn’t violate any patents but may not cover all cases (for example a slave switch in a 3-way setup won’t produce an associate command). Also not all switches may support that command (but it appears the common GE/Jasco line does).

What may be happening to cause the differences being seen in nearby vs. faraway switches may involve whether or not the associate command is routed beyond one hop in a Z-Wave mesh. Again, from what I’ve googled, it may not propagate through routed nodes, hence the switches close to the hub are getting their physical events reported by associate commands; those going through another Z-Wave repeating node are not.

Seems this effect has been discussed (and worked around) since Z-Wave first rolled out; here’s a relevant link: https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13299-zwave-light-switch-that-updates-isy-on-status-change/

3 Likes

@bravenel I have now moved upstairs above my family room and Hubitat hub. I have been purposely avoiding two rooms because of requirements of physical logs where I have a GE switch that when toggled, a GE smart outlet also toggles. I went ahead and moved these to Hubitat and I am getting mixed results. The room directly over my family room is my office and the switch is logging physical events very consistently so the smart outlet is behaving as it should through a simple lighting rule.

The room directly beside my office is my son's room and has a similar scenario of a simple lighting rule to turn on a smart outlet from a physical touch of a switch. The switch is less than 8 feet from my office switch but a wall is in between. Unfortunately I am getting mixed results of physical events being logged. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't; most of time the events don't get logged.

I moved over other switches in my son's room as well such as his fan switch, and a switch that controls outdoor flood lights so again mesh isn't an issue. All of these switches turn on immediately from digital events from the browser.

Please let me know if you have any ideas or additional things you would like me to test.

Unfortunately I am having to move devices back to ST because of this issue. :sob: The engineering team has been quiet on updates to this problem, getting no responses but hopefully fixing it, and my home is broken while these devices remain on Hubitat. I realize this is a complex issue to fix and confident they will come up with something.

This also means I am done moving devices over and my 80+ existing devices will remain on ST until this issue is fixed.

Hubitat staff, I am happy to help test a fix once you determine a solution so please let me know.

2 Likes

I don’t think they are not talking about it.
Devs stated it is in works and will be released in next update.
That pretty quick compares to another platform where known bugs running for more than a year.
when I reported info about a problem they purchased device immediately to troubleshoot that problem.
it’s four days, that is probably not enough time for a device to be delivered.

on the other side. that makes me think that using physical devices is my automation plan fail.
my goal is to automate everything. need of touching something is my fail.

I haven’t gotten confirmation it’s in the next release. I started this thread 13 days ago so, much longer than the 4 days you mention. But my family still depends quite a bit on physical touches. Examples include turning on bathroom fan if shower/tub light turned on. Things that are difficult to automate via motion, etc.

I haven’t given up, just had to do what I needed to do. I even offered to ship them a switch or two for testing.

1 Like

This is exactly the way I see it. I have about 3 light switches in my house that are ever touched by anyone, and generally that is for turning off a large set of lights before motion time-out would turn them out. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who ever does that. Otherwise, light switches are pretty much an anachronism for us. My wife doesn't know what the dozens of them do, nor does she care.

ST solved this problem by throwing a bus at it -- they poll every Z-Wave device every 10 seconds. We don't think that's an acceptable solution to the problem. We will bring forward a solution that makes more sense. I'm not going to state a time frame for that to be released -- we are addressing it.

3 Likes

I appreciate both sides of this thread. Is a possible temporary solution to enable polling every x seconds of all zwave devices in the next release then roll it back with a more elegant solution. Ideally the temporary fix could be a setting that is enabled with the polling frequency as a setting.

I found your usage of switches interesting. Even with 30+ motion sensors, we still use switches / apps frequently. Sometimes for on / off, but often for adjusting dim level.

In my setup, dimmer levels are set automatically based on exterior lux levels...
Alexa provides any overrides to the levels being set.

We have a dozen of those damn alexa dots and a dozen more in the drawer. Once a week I get angered by one of them and it goes flying. It is great most of the time, but when she is not she is maddening! As far as using the exterior lux levels I struggle with that, in MN it is dark too many hours for that to be ideal at times, but I have also gone through iterations of logic that always prove to be flawed. if before 5am level 25 in bathroom, if light on 5 min increase gradually to 100%, etc. inevitably, the wife wants it lower longer or I want it brighter sooner. I think the most reliable (and possibly cheapest way) is to duplicate all rooms in ones house (his/hers) and automate seperately :slight_smile:

Is to do what she wants.... :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Could you just migrate Pollster from the ST Community to your environment and setup how often you want your devices polled?

You can do polling with RM using periodic trigger. But that only gets you 1 minute frequency.

What custom command would you invoke? I setup a rule to execute refresh and the event log had tons of events of physical off over and over again every time it ran. I removed it as I do sometimes look back at logs.