Physical Events Not Logging Consistently

Have you pressed the CONFIGURE button in the device's detail page to make sure it is configured with the correct settings to report updates to Hubitat? Just an idea...

I have several of these in the lab waiting for me to sort outā€¦

After resetting the switches and re-pairing them I was able to use the generic zigbee switch and get physical updates.

For the dimmers, I am not sure which device type might work. Currently using a GE Zigbee Dimmer ported from SmartThings. Functions well, but does not get physical updates.

what frequency are others doing refreshes on zwave devices. with even just a few switches/dimmers at 5-10 seconds i am noticing latency developing on the zwave network. anyone else experiencing that?

Iā€™m doing 30 seconds and havenā€™t noticed anything. I have 12 devices that Iā€™m refreshing also. Not a huge number.

I have 3, 20 seconds for devices that have automations on them to turn on other lights like shower fan turns on with shower light. This one has 4 devices. Then I have a 3 minute and a 5 minute. I noticed the 5 minute was often running at same time as 3 minute so I just changed it to trigger 2 minutes after the 3 minute. This has helped. Basically I split the remaining devices between these two putting the less used switches in the 5 minute.

I have 3 rules running at 10, 20, and 45 seconds refreshing a total of 7 Z-Wave in-wall dimmers and plug-in devices. I havenā€™t noticed any impact on mesh latency even at lower refresh intervals; probably because what I would likely notice (Zigbee motion sensor triggering Zigbee smart bulbs) is on a different mesh.

I have z-wave dimmer (linear wd500z-1) and itā€™s the same thing. It does not change the state if it is manually operated. I installed the Hub in the same room within 10 feet of the dimmer. The Hub is not connecting on the same network as my smartthings. Hubitat and Smartthings are 40 feet apart.

I tried this model on three different platforms and I always had the change of state when I use it manually.

The drivers for my dimmer is GENERIC Z-WAVE DIMMER

Have you tried going to the device details and clicking the ā€œconfigureā€ button?

1 Like

yes I tried it. and many others drivers

As mentioned above...

So ST was masking the issue from these manufactures that refused to pay the Lutron royalty for their patent. The only solution on Hubitat is to setup a period polling as noted above.

ok thank you.

smartapp same POLLSTER in smartthings. Do you have this in Hubitat

You can use RM to do the same ad pollster.

1 Like

Please see above example:

@tjeannot44

As @cuboy29 mentioned, Rule Machine now can execute Periodic ā€˜poll()ā€™ or ā€˜refresh()ā€™ commands. Just donā€™t schedule it to happen too frequently or your mesh will get bogged down.

I personally began seeing a negative impact to mesh latency anyone under 10 seconds with a couple dozen devices. I have been pulling out most of my GE zwave devices in favor of lutron (@patrick is a bad influence on me - talking me into these devices).

As others have mentioned doing rules to stagger the refresh commands might help. Potentially doing groups of devices not near each other at the time of a single refresh could help spread the traffic through the mesh (i.e. not a rule for all master suite, then a rule for all downstairs, etc.). This is just a theory, I did not test before I started abandoning.

2 Likes

Why lutron as opposed to other zwave plus switches?

Because Lutron clearconnect is awesome :slight_smile:

The clearconnect is awesome. Here are a few of the reasons.

1. very fast response times within lutron bridge
  2. very fast response times integrated to hubitat
  3. better dimming range than most of the dimmers i have tried (only beat by the control 4 adaptive phase dimmers).
  4. pico remotes
  5. wireless 3 way configurations that function when no hub (lutron or hubitat) is online
  6. very easy physical dim control.
1 Like

Ahh okā€¦ Iā€™m not a fan of dimmer cheap zwave switches for me I guess. I am slowly replacing my older GE switches over to the newer zwave plus switches. Trying out Inovelli switches now.