Phone Presence Device - Very Inconsistent

Many people find Android and even certain phones arevery aggressive about killing apps to preserve battery life. There may or may not be a way to get around that. Maybe post what phone brand and model these are and someone will have an idea if this power saving feature can be disabled.

The other suggestion I would make would be to use one of the combined presence community based apps. You can use phone Wifi and Phone Hubitat app, and get a much better idea if someone is home by evaluating both presence methods.

I should have been more specific on the phone type:

1. iPhone 13 Mini, OS 15.4.1
  2. iPhone XR, OS 15.4.1

Do you have a device that stays at home that can be a HomeKit device? (Apple TV, iPad) I have been using that as my presence detector and it works very well. Let me know and I can provide more instructions.

1 Like

Maybe using shortcuts and either location or WiFi trigger and hitting an (post or get) HE Maker API URL to flip a virtual switch?

edit: I have NOT done this (I have an iPad but not an iPhone) so cannot say whether this will work as intended. It looks like there are some possibilities though.

I do have an Apple TV and an iPad. The iPad is at the house about 90% of the time. I've seen references to HomeKit and it's use an a presence sensor, but have not researched it. Any instructions you could provide would be much appreciated!

I'll have to get back to you on this later today. The Apple TV will work if it 3rd gen or later. Ipad at home 90% of the time won't work. It must be at home at all times, or the automations won't work.

1 Like

Thanks @jameslslate. It is an Apple TV MQD22LL/A, so I am pretty certain that is 5th gen.

I just had an issue with my wife's device. It did not show her presence correctly when she arrived at our second home. I'd rather not give any directions until I get this figured out.

1 Like

Sorry I haven't responded in a while but this might explain why. Zigbee is down - help!

@jameslslate I having the same exact experience ad the OP, and would love if you could share your approach using home kit as I’m in the apple ecosystem and have a recent apple tv which can act as a hub. Thanks!

@Loic

Create a Virtual Presence Device for each person. I created 2, one for me and one for my wife.

Summary

Use Maker API and add the Virtual Presence Devices.

Summary

In the area below the screen shot (scroll up on your Maker API instance) you will see the instructions for how to use the commands. You will want to look at the section labeled Cloud URLS: Here is an example of mine.

Get Device Info (replace [Device ID] with actual subscribed device id
https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/Really long hex number 1/apps/709/devices/[Device ID]?access_token=Really long hex number 2

The 709 is the Maker API identifier. It is also part of the URL when viewing it. http://192.168.123.60/installedapp/configure/709/mainPage

The Device ID is replaced by the identifier of the Virtual Presence Devices. It also can be determined by looking at the URL when viewing the device.
http://192.168.123.60/device/edit/646

Now on the Home App, create a new Automation. You will need one Arriving and one Departing automation for each user. In my case that is 4 automations. One of mine looks like this -
https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/Really long hex number 1/apps/709/devices/647/arrived?access_token=Really long hex number 2

I'm sure I glossed over some of it, but I did it so long ago I kind of forgot the process for the HomeKit part.

1 Like

So you can leverage HomeKit without the need of installing homebridge on an RPi or server?

Yes.

Great. Thanks again!

Let me know if you get stuck. I'm happy to help.

Will give it a shot right now. I’ll let you know how far I get :wink:

I forgot to mention, the HomeKit part is a Get, not a Put.

One more thing - this is the thread that got me started. It probably describes the process better.

I’ve done few shortcuts to trigger Webcore piston on ST, so I should be good.

Success! Thanks again for the help!