Phillips Hue Motion Sensor - Alternative Methods to Attach to Wall

This isn't a technical issue, why I parked it in the lounge.

I'd like to avoid putting a screw/anchor in the wall if possible, but have found a command strip/scotch mounting square doesn't seem to hold the small circular post, maybe the angle i'm using is causing more stress. Are my adhesives old and need to be replaced, or has anyone else had success with another removable adhesive? Thanks!

I found that the magnet will stick to an outside drywall corner (metal).

5 Likes

You could try the 3M Command velcro picture hanger strips. I used them to mount my hubs on the wall, but I'm not sure they can handle the Hue sensor. I use regular Command strips for the smaller motion sensors, but the Hue has a pretty small footprint for anything but a screw.

1 Like

Was hoping for this. Unfortunately won't work for me in the location i needed.

1 Like

Yes, i used these on my ZSE40, larger bracket to dispense the weight on the pad. this round post is tricky.

I use 3m velcro squares everywhere for my stuff (including outside) Easy to remove and work great... (Command strips suck)

I also tried the scotch mounting squares. . I may buy some new 3M velco squares, maybe my others are old.

These are a couple options I own which work pretty well for different applications. The 3M one I used to adhere a sensor on my trucks windshield. Its strong. If you put it on drywall, it'll probably take the paint off of it when removed.

The second product isn't as sticky, but works really well. It is very flexible, which makes it easier to remove. I have used it to attach foam sound panels to painted drywall (and I actually removed them when I repainted with no wall damage). I also have used it to reattach the ST multipurpose sensor to my dryer (painted metal). I would probably recommend the second option, and you can find it in different widths as well on Amazon. I've used it on some other applications as well, it works very well.

Your other option would be to get the largest command strip you can find. Usually the ones for hanging up brooms, or the heavy picture frames. I have some of these holding up patio chair cushions on drywall going down my stairs. I tried the smaller strips first, but they would randomly fall off the wall as they weren't strong enough. I oversized it, and it works great. It'll probably show behind the sensor, and if you can live with that then you should be fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SRECEU

Sorta off topic, but how do you like the Hue motion sensors? Do you have pets, and if so how do they do with pets?

"Command Strip" a piece of metal to the wall for the Philips post to stick to...
(Painted to match your wall of course :wink: )

Universal Metal Plate 12 Pack for Magnetic Phone Car Mount

3 Likes

They pick up the pets just fine :rofl: I think with any motion sensor, you have to be a little more thoughtful with placement to avoid having cats or dogs setting them off regularly. You probably need to also use more of them. The Hue are my favorite ones though. Fast and batteries last years.

I'm using mine more for lighting than security, so my pets setting them off isn't a big deal to me. That said, I'll know more after i get it setup in a final spot, watching movement on 3 doors in my laundry/mudroom.

I like them. Can't comment on the pets, but it does give you the option to adjust the sensitivity.

Maybe fabricate a backing plate, and use that with Command strips or similar to fix it.

This isn't super helpful but I've found that if you screw it directs into plaster or a plasterboard with a small screw they stay there, ive had one up a year and it hasn't fallen off so the hole is easily filled !

Also I've glue gunned one up but I expect that will pull the paint off when I go to change the battery !

I’ve done that also and it’s holding up well.

1 Like

While I understand and sympathize with wanting to avoid putting a screw in the wall if possible—one little screw hole spackles really easily and completely disappears on the first paint job after it's removed. In fact, damage done by aggressive adhesives can often be harder to conceal....

3 Likes