Philips Hue outlet connects as a bulb

Hi Guys,

When I installed most of my Philips Hue outlets I connected them via the Hue Bridge. I read some recommendation to connect them that way. I recently realised that if doing so the outlets will not work as repeaters. To get at least some of them to work as repeaters to improve the network, I started to disconnect a few of them from the Hue bidge and connecting them directly to HE. In doing so I encountered som peculiarities.

• When I connect the Hue Outlets directly to HE they connect as an 'Advanced Hue bulb'.

I do have some Hue outlets directly connected to HE since before and all of those are connected using the 'Generic Zigbee Outlet' driver. All of those work splendidly and all events are visible.

• When I changed the driver from Advanced Hue bulb to Generic Zigbee outlet, the events stopped comming. Why would that be?

I tried different approaches and completely removed the outlet, reset it and reconnected but it always connects as an advanced bulb. I also tried just changing the driver without reconnect and reconnecting without disconnecting it first. All with the same result.

Any thoughts?

If you have a Hue bridge, I would suggest looking at Coco-Hue and/or Advanced Hue Integration, but am unsure on the exact list of devices they support in this space. Hopefully @bertabcd1234 and @armand may be able to confirm this for you.

1 Like

Have you hit Configure in the device after changing the driver?

Have you compared the Data section of the device, comparing it to the older installed outlets?

Was this behavior witnessed with the latest/current HE update?

Did you hit "Configure" after chaning drivers? You could also try re-pairing the device without removing it from Hubitat first.

(And to be clear, I'm assuming you mean that the device is paired directly to Hubitat, not via the Hue Bridge, as this is the only way a Zigbee driver would work.)

The advanced hue integration supports all hue hub connected devices except the rotary buttons, and Virtual devices. Hue play devices work at standard light, but not for initiating animations or streaming protocols.

1 Like

Hubitat does not have an inbuilt driver with this name, this must be a user driver that has unfortunately added the fingerprint for the Hue Outlets.
You will need to remove the outlet fingerprint from the user driver or delete this driver altogether.

You cannot just change the driver of a generic component device. If the device was created as an advanced hue bulb, then it has a hard dependency on the app that created it. If you want to control it directly as a zigbee device you must create a new device of that driver type. If you just want it to behave like an outlet instead of an on/off device (not sure what the difference would be here) then I can care about creating a device specific driver for the device in my hue app.

When connected in this way, they are still acting as repeaters, just not as Hubitat repeaters.