Philips Hue Color bulbs (Hue, Saturation) values

Hi
I'm trying to figure out what Hue/Sat values correspond to each color
I used to be on webcore which lists tons of colors, with HE native app, only major colors are listed
I wonder if there is a chart that lists more colors and their Hue/Sat values, for example Cyan or Aqua blue

Thank you

Where are you trying to set the color in HE? If you use Rule Machine or Button Controller, there is a drop-down list of the most popular colors available there. You only have to manually set the hue/sat if you're changing it from the device edit page.

using motion lighting app or even rule machine, both give the same option if you want a color different that the major one available in drop down menu

> Bulb color?

Soft White White Daylight Warm White Red Green Blue Yellow Orange Purple Pink Custom color
Random color

Custom color

> Bulb level?

> Color value?

> Saturation value?

how about other colors not available above, like cyan for example?, what is the corresponding Hue/Sat

Thanks

Hubitat uses the standard HSV color model, except all the values range from 0 to 100 (in the standard model, hue is a degree value from 0 to 360). The color picker on the device's edit page will let you choose a color and show you the corresponding HSV values, which you can then use in apps that require manual specification of HSV values. I'd highly recommend using this page with the actual bulb to find a color that you want for a few reasons. What you'll see on the screen is sometimes a bit different from what a color-changing bulb will actually be able to do (e.g., you're not likely to a dark gray and really not any color quite as dark as it might look on screen, just a dimmer version of that color). It's also likely to vary from brand to brand, and newer Hue bulbs will fare better than the older ones with the smaller gamut.

That being said, if you want my guess to answer your question, cyan would be a hue of about 50 in Hubitat's HSV model, and I'd recommend starting with a saturation of 100. If it's too green, try increasing the hue a bit, or if it's too blue, try shifting the hue value down a bit or reducing the saturation (to my eyes, this just makes the color closer to white/gray, and my colorblind eyes rarely see a use for anything below about 2/3 of the max here if I really want a colored light).

2 Likes

I refer to this sometimes:

we need color wheel 0-100 for Hue bulbs and RM or hopefully HE engineers may add few more major colors in the selection in the next firmware update

Using the 'Enable Hue in degrees' switch in the bulb preferences doesn't help?

It does help in deed except I don't have it on my preferences.
Not sure if because I have devices as group of lights rather than each bulb seperately or something else. I did add them using the hubitat native integration

I'm having some issues setting up motion lighting app
1- Set color temperature: will turn on the group of bulbs
2- if I want set color: RGB or white/daylight, light wont turn on
3- if I set color temperature on group A, then adding set color for group B. nothing turns on
I feel something is broken when you set color option or I'm missing something
4- unless I'm adjusting setting of hue bulbs using edit device on Hubitat, Hubitat fails to update the state, if I I set a scene or color or just turn on a bulb using hue app or, it won't translate on Hubitat edit device, it will still shows switch as on when it's actually off, refreshing doesn't do any good

Thx for your help

What do you have set for your Bridge Polling interval in the Hue Bridge App?

I never touched it and it was defaulted to 1 min, I guess that's why. guess you recommend 10 seconds?
I believe the motion lighting app has something wrong when it comes to set color because it's not working for me, using RM works like a charm

No, I just use that value. I don't know what's the best to use. But if you're seeing a lag in changes made outside of HE showing up in HE, that could be the cause.

I'll keep it at 10 sec, seems to work better
since motion lighting app doesn't wok when it comes set color temperature, I'm using rule machine, but I'm having an issue, I'm trying to turn off lights with a delay but use a switch (when on to disable the off action), I can't seem to find it in RM, there is a an option for a switch to disable a rule which is not something I want since my rule has turn on(true)/turn off (false)
Any hint is appreciated

All of my rules to control motion are two. A triggered rule to turn them on and a simple rule to turn them off. I find it's easier for me since I have different criteria for controlling turning them off. For example, don't turn off by motion if the dimmer level is x and whatnot. So, you might want to break it up into 2 rules.

1 Like

I gave up on matching colors on HE with Hue. HE is just is not capable of doing a good job at it. Trying to have HE capture the color is laughable. I spent hours attempting to match existing Hue colors on HE and gave up.

If Hubitat is not capturing the colors correctly, then something else is the issue. Hubitat will just capture what the bulb reports. If you're using a bulb that reports only xy color values and doesn't update the hue and saturation values to match, then this will fail (Hue bulbs normally do this for me, even if in xy color mode; Ikea ones, for example, won't). If nothing else, you should be able to get a matching color by starting on the Hubitat side if you know how the HS color model works, though that may take some trial and error with bulbs in front of you.

In fewer words, my entire house is full of Hue bulbs and I've never had this problem with the stock Hue integration or the one that I wrote except for Ikea bulbs that don't implement all color models. :slight_smile:

[EDIT: And of course, there is the issue of polling, below--either waiting for that or manually refreshing the Bridge device on Hubitat.]

1 Like

If you’re setting the color in Hue, then you will have to wait until HE polls the Hue bridge before you can capture the color.

1 Like

During my attempt to migrate my scenes from Hue to HE, I had Hue set the lights in each room. The HE is set to poll the Hub every minute. After a few minutes I attempted to capture and it was a bad match. I waited longer but HE would not capture the correct colors. I used a Rest client to pull the bulb configurations and it reported the correct CT or XY values (depending on the color).

Now, I'm 1 week in on HE. If you say it works, I'll give it another try. I'm new enough to HE that it's possible I may some type of mistake.

Thanks for the feedback.

So...I must admit I haven’t tried capturing colors recently. I know CT seemed to work well. I also know color from Hue has to be translated from xy to hsl. I bypass all of that by using the CoCoHue app for Hue integration and just import the Hue scenes into Hubitat. From what I understand, Hue stores the scenes on the bulbs, which is probably why they work so brilliantly.

So this is interesting. For whatever reason, I created Groups in HE and then picked the Groups to capture the colors. With Hue I set the color to a standard bulb color and dimmed. When I capture in HE using the Group, it reproduces it as green color when activated. When I capture the individual bulbs in the scene, it got the right colors in the capture. Odd. When I first set this up, I was approaching this based on Groups. I need to do more testing, but it kind-of works.