Pentair ScreenLogic

I have the 485 adapter and the Rpi set up. Where exactly does this connect. Into the wifi to home network adapter or inside the controller box itself?

The RS485 connects to the same cable used with the Pentair Screenlogic if you have that. In general this is a 4 wire cable coming from the comms connection in your Easy touch or Intellitouch. You can run a separate cable or share the one already going to Screenlogic. Black and red are not needed for your 485 adapter.

1 Like

Can't believe I missed this thread. I loathe the ScreenLogic app and the lack of integrations.

Couple of questions for you @brad2

1. Since I have the wireless adapter am I correct in thinking that I just connect the wireless base to the RPI rather than the network adapter?
  2. I'm not sure how resource-intensive nodejs-poolcontroller is but in your experience do you think I could run both this and Homebridge on the same RPI?
  1. I don't have a wireless adapter to know for sure, but does this have 4 wires coming out to the Protocol Adapter? Those will be RS-485 and hook up the the RPI.

2. It's not a huge resource load but obviously lots of unknowns here...which pi and how busy is homebridge. Certainly wouldn't hurt to try it there and then rehome it if needed. The install and setup is really easy thanks to great work by the devs there!

Mine does. :slight_smile:

As far as loading, I can't help there. mine is on a dedicated rpi because of where I had to put it to get a good wireless signal.

Thank you both for the quick responses.

As Jason mentioned, yes the Pentair wireless adapter does have 4 wires.

Going to give it a try with both Homebridge and this running on a single RPI3 because it's what I have. All else fails, I just upgrade to a new RPI and run them seperately.

I was able to connect mine to the 2 middle wires of the protocol adapter inside and it works fine. Now to see what automations I can accomplish with it.

Anyone else having issues with the updated commands in the rc.local not firing off after reboot? I made sure it was flagged +x but they still dont run. I am still having to npm start& each one after boot. Other options anyone uses? Perhaps create a shell script and call that?

Check out pm2. Automatically start at boot PM2 & Systemd ยท tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController Wiki ยท GitHub

Agreed on this - you do not want to hook up the power leads. Especially the hot one these are different voltage systems.

1 Like

yeah that link worked. Had tried previously but i think the directions were a bit out of date. Currently working and even enabled loggin to influxdb from the pool controller which is nice.

1 Like

I know this has turned into a poolcontrolller thread, but there is a node-js Screenlogic API:
github/parnic/node-screenlogic

I thought about going the PoolController route but I already have a Screenlogic and don't really want to run another Pi just for this. This is the library that Homebridge uses to get Screenlogic into HomeKit and it works flawlessly.

But we don't have a way to integrate nodejs code onto a Hubitat environment. That would have to be hosted off the hub, thus requiring a separate device (pi) to run that code, so it's the same outcome I think?

The root issue here is Pentair does not provide a public API to the Screen logic LAN protocol. I did at one point try to unravel that but didn't get very far trying to reverse engineer it.

I wonder how the node API was built then. He must have figured out the protocol. I haven't read through the code.

He has an issue in github where he states: As a reminder, most of this is coming from decompiling the slconfig app with jadx + experimentation.

I know this question has been asked but I am curious how my screenlogic is working in homekit using homebridge. While I love the nodejs-poolcontroller for a novice like myself it requires some work to set it up. I tried installing it on my Pi that is running homebridge but ran into issues. Then the light bulb went off. Why can't I just create virtual switches for the things I want to control and now I have control of the filter, cleaner, waterfall and lights. I really wish I could get pool temp ported over which is where I hit a roadblock.

So my question is if the data in homebridge how can I get that into hubitat?
github dot com/schemers/homebridge-screenlogic (Here is what I am using in homebridge)
If you are homebride config UI you simple search for screenlogic and a few clicks later you are up and running.

This is probably a really stupid question, but I've been banging my head against a wall.

I have everything set up and working correctly. I can control the pool from each devices page. How do I get a button on my dashboard so that I can turn the heater on/off and set the heat set point? I know I can do it from the Pool Controller device under commands, but as far as I'm aware there is no way to display that on a dashboard.

I also tried looking through what Maker API spits out, and it doesn't provide any way to do it (so no moving it into HA without also doing the integration there). What am I missing? Also, anyone have these things displayed nicely on a dashboard they want to share? I would like something prettier :smiley:

Did you pull the latest version of the code? I was just working on this same problem since I opened my pool for the summer. Version 0.9.14 of the Pool Controller Body device has some new commands that let you change the Set Point up and down.

I use SharpTools for my dashboards. Here is what the pool looks like in there for me:

I have the version installed via HPM, it looks like maybe that is at version 0.9.12 for the pool controller body. I suppose I can create some virtual switches/butons to do the heater toggle and change set point. I haven't figured out Hubitat programming yet, but it seems like it could be handled like a thermostat (maybe it would need its own device then), which would make using the dashboard better.

I am also trying to avoid a million new tiles on the dashboard, Really I'd like to be able to design my own tiles so I can have the temp, heater on/off and main pump on/off on the same time! (I know that is a different thread however) I feel like there are already so many as it is :rofl:.

I fixed a merge issue on Github with the code so had not posted this stuff right. It is there now, so an HPM update should get you the latest.

The problem with using the thermostat capability is it brings some things that are not at all compatible with a pool heater. Heating / cooling, fan modes, etc. This is why I have avoided that and used more primitive capabilities like TemperatureMeasurement and custom commands to represent the actual device.