Pending Z-Wave node. Can't remove

In my Z-Wave details, I have one node that has been pending for months. I'm fairly sure that it is a failed pair from my master bath inovelli switch that just never went away. However, I have some Sensative strips that will not pair until this pending node is removed (per their support). I've reached out to Hubitat support with no luck (they said they would pass it on to the engineering team). Here are the things I've tried to do to remove it.

-The remove button (does nothing, page just refreshes and its still there)
-Refresh multiple times and then remove
-Shut down hub, unplug, remove
-Remove, shut down hub, unplug
-Turn off breaker to everything except the outlet the hub is plugged in to and remove
-Turn off just the breaker to the master bathroom switch and remove

Any other suggestions to get this stubborn thing gone so I can use my sensative strips?

Search for Ghost node on the forum. Many threads about it. Here is one.

1 Like

Have you tried pulling the Air-Gap on the switch that you think caused the “Ghost node” before pressing the “remove” button? If not give it a try.

When I had one of those ghost nodes that just wouldn’t remove, I ended-up buying a UZB stick (USB Z-Wave Stick) for my PC at mouser.com and it was super easy to remove it. Following a hub reboot, the ghost was gone.

1 Like

I've learned that a USB Z-Wave Stick is C7's best friend to purge those ghosts!

There are many types of Z-Wave sticks out there, with various costs & functions. I purchased the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 Plus UZB, and it works with Windows based PC Controller software. I load VMWare Fusion/Windows 10 on the MacBook Pro and have a secondary controller to cleanup the Z-Wave database when it gets stuck.

2 Likes

Thanks all. I tried the air gap switch with no luck so I went ahead and ordered the z-wave stick from mouser. I plan on following this guide when I get it. Dropbox - Hubitat UZB Stick How-To.pdf - Simplify your life

3 Likes

That should work...I hear the guy who wrote that guide is a certifiable genius.

Or at least certifiable. :wink:

2 Likes

I have never until now not been able to remove a failed node. I can generally do it with zwave in hubitat. I have removed several with my gen 5 stick that hubitat was unable to remove. I now have one that I cannot seem to remove no matter what I try. Not sure what to do next on this one. Ideas welcome. C-7 .126 around 90 zwave devices on this hub.

Tom

Does it seem to remove when you try from your gen 5 stick, but when you go to Hubitat, it is still there?

If so, try powering down the C-7, pulling the power at the plug, waiting a bit and then re-starting it.

1 Like

No this bad boy never will turn red in silabs so you can remove it. It actualy locks up my aeotec gen 5 zstick with a solid blue light. I have to close the zwave tool unplug the zstick plug it back in and pull the zwave tool backup in order to use it / exclude it. I have several of these gen 5 zsticks and they all do the same thing.

Oh wow! Never seen that before! I wonder if @bcopeland would have any ideas…?

Since you’ve tried this with 5 sticks, I will assume that you did this already, but in case you didn’t…

Try unpairing the Z-Wave stick from Hubitat and then pairing it again. Then if the ghost is still there, try removing it again with the stick.

As it happens, I found that I had a Ghost device and neither the hub or the Z-Wave stick would remove it… so very similar to what you are describing! Going through these steps removed it. I once I paired the stick again with Hubitat, it was already gone. Not sure how that happened, but it did.

Like I said there does not seem to be a distinct path to follow other than trial and error until it just goes away. I try and exclude the zsticks after use as to not leave an additional device connected that do not need to be. My latest successful path to inclusion has changed. I now include new devices closer to the hub because the ghosts seem to be more common to appear when trying to include on the outer parts of the mesh. Then using an extension cord I slowly move the device towards its final location. I move it further by 15 to 20 feet then repair zwave on the device and so on until I get it to its final resting spot. This method is a pain but I have not had a single ghost created by inclusion gone wrong since implementing this method. The only ghost that I have right now is from a failed device zwave id 046 / hex 2e. I am on hex numbers starting with a B now. All of the ghosts that I have successfully removed where always at or near the bottom/end of the list on the zwave table. This most current ghost is back closer to the beginning of the zwave routing table. Sorry for the ramble. I am sure that my OCD is far worst than the single ghost in the routing table. That being said I am out of ideas to try so if anyone has an idea to try I am game.

Tom

2 Likes