Pairing Z-wave Leviton Switches...stops at "INITIALIZING"

Migrating from Wink. Everything worked on Wink without issue. Trying to pair Leviton DZPA1 switches. HE sees the switch in discovery, goes to "initializing" and then hangs up. When I go to exclude the device, it excludes just fine and I get an "unknown device excluded" message. When I try to include it, it recognizes a device and hangs up every time at "initializing".

Question: what is the status of your mesh? How many devices do you have connected? Also, under zwave details, in the uppper right hand corner secure join should be locks/garage doors. Is that what yours says?

Thanks so much for the reply! I have to say that it has been a super frustrating day.
I just got my HE and do not have any devices connected yet.

My old system was a Wink hub, Hue bridge, ecobee thermostats, august door locks, ring security and an amazon Echo with multiple zwave switches. My goal is to switch over to using my amazon Echo, and integrating together everything and building out my smarthome architecture around my HE.

Yes, the upper right hand corner is set to secure join and locks/garage doors. Any advice and insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, I went back to my wink hub and went through the exclusion process and am going to retry adding them again. Fingers crossed!

is this the closest device to your HE hub? If not, start with the closest device and work away

It’s been almost a year since I switched from wink myself, but I do remember having issues pairing z-wave switches with HE.

Can I suggest, after excluding a device from HE, shutdown the wink temporarily.

Perform a factory reset on the switch

Then reattempt to include on HE

1 Like

my wink hub is unplugged as I try to do this again today. I am starting with the switch that is closest to the hub and working outward. Fingers crossed. Ready to dive back in.

1 Like

Thanks Steve,. I am going to do all of that again today. A good nights sleep and I am ready to try, try again. Perseverance!

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:
Try and get some powered devices into your mesh. The closest ones and work away.

1 Like

Based off my newbie experience from Wink > HE, this is a range issue. My devices required me moving them inside the home closer to hub to setup. Now returned to where they belong, they no longer work. HE's radios are weaker than Wink's. The idea that I need to have devices within 10' of one another to get reliable operation is silly and ridiculous to accept. IMO

Hubitat needs to up the power.

Hubitat leverages the fact that zigbee and z-wave are mesh protocols. I don't see any need to "up the power".

@didymus provided a better response to you here:

2 Likes

And yet.... My current experience reflects absurdly crappy performance.

60'? Yeah right. 550' oh sure.. I can't get 20-25' out of this system.

I have this issue quite a lot too, getting some powered z-wave devices did help but it does still happen on pretty regular basis.

The only thing that seems to help is to go into exclude mode, quickly tap the devices pairing button until i see "unknown device excluded" , then immediately go into pairing mode, and do the same thing, just tap the button quickly when i see "initializing" i just keep tapping the button to keep the device awake. If it fails or gets stuck at excluding, I exclude and do it again the same way.

Performance within the constraints of materials commonly used for construction is quite different than line-of-sight open air conditions.

In any event, those of us who have built strong zigbee and z-wave meshes don't have performance issues with Hubitat.

2 Likes

Being an electrician, I guess I'll go to the trouble of installing an entirely new outlet near something to 'build a strong' network.

You can talk circles about it. It's insanely stupid that a device 20' away won't work. It's a stick built house with drywall and vinyl siding. Whew! Those are some rough materials.

My disappointment may result in return. Hubitat...wow. not as advertised at this point...

Yes, the switch I am starting with is the closest in the network. It always finds each of the devices, it just won't go any further than "initializing".

@peteonthefly how are you doing with this? Any luck?

The forum consists of people who love HE and what to help each other out with the potholes we all hit at one point or another.

Getting angry about it isn’t the best approach.

Yes it’s antenna array may not be as powerful and you had with wink. If that’s a showstopper then nothing anyone says will help.

If you want advise on how to fix things, the people like @aaiyar and @april.brandt are the people to listen to.

2 Likes

Have you successfully added anything to your hub? I wonder if we need to get @bobbyD on this. If it's not adding anything to your mesh, then do a safe shutdown and then unplug the power from your hub for a few minutes. Then power back up. Maybe something is up with the radio.

I have had zero luck and am really disappointed. I spent over half the day emailing with bobby@hubitat.com , trying his suggestions and rebooting, excluding, including and got nowhere. I have 10 z-wave devices, not a single one of them will pair with the HE. I can pair and unpair all day long with the wink hub I’m trying to migrate from. I have tried all of the suggestions that people have offered on this forum and read threads on the subject from the moment I woke up this morning. At the end of the day, my smart home is completely disconnected. Thanks for trying to help though.

I did a safe shutdown, waited, then powered back up and tried again. Zero luck. Same results.