Pairing Aeon Minimote

You are under no obligation to update your firmware just because a new version came out, especially it was just minutes to hours ago and you donā€™t see release notes posted yet and you donā€™t feel comfortable updating without knowing what was changed. If your current firmware is working well, you can even keep using it indefinitelyā€”unlike ST, the updates are not forced on you. You choose if and when to update. (That being said, Iā€™ve always updated pretty fast because Iā€™ve been generally pleased with the changes they made. Sounds like youā€™d be happier if you waited a while and let others test the waters first. Youā€™re again free to do soā€”to say nothing of the TOS quoted above that provides a disclaimer for this exact type of situation. But even if you are a heavy RM user and updated right way, this probably only affected you for a few hours. Want to compare that to STā€™s all-day outage earlier this week? :slight_smile: )

Back to the Minimote: despite apparent Z-Wave issues in recent firmware versions with device discovery for these particular devices, I was still able to get mine to work. If this is the worst problem Iā€™ve had (and so far it is), Iā€™d still be pretty happy.

4 Likes

Very good point, and very bad night. I was dealing with ST issues which were compounded by issues with Hubitat since I tried to register.

1 Like

I was able to pair minimote, but had to make like 10 attempts. I am on 705. Couple times minimote was paired but would not register any button pressed. I had to exclude and start over. Was ready to gave up when minimote suddenly started to work.

Iā€™m in the same boat with a v1 minimote but still havenā€™t paired after about 15 tries. The farthest I get Is a device that I can switch to the minimote driver, but it never recognizes button presses.

The older units need to have their firmware updated to work correctly.

I have 2 v1 minimotes, 1 with upgraded firmware and 1 without. Neither pair to Hubitat since the last few Hubitat firmware versions. I upgraded to the latest and tried again with no success. I have a support ticket opened in this issue as well.

Does Hubitat support firmware updating for devices? If not, what method do you recommend for doing so?

Try here

https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000124117-minimote-v1-19-firmware-update-

@mike.maxwell have you been able to determine the issues pairing v1 minimotes? I saw posts that you were reworking a bunch of drivers and wasnā€™t sure if this was included. Iā€™d really like to get my remote paired again and working on Hubitat. As mentioned above and via support, I am having challenges with original firmware and upgraded firmware remotes.

OK, I have some tips on how to do this until such time as this is no longer required.
If these work (as they do for me), awesome, if they donā€™t youā€™ll have to wait for us to sort it out in the discovery processā€¦
Thereā€™s several possible states that a minimote can be in in the pairing process.
1-never paired, so how do I do it.
2-itā€™s in the zwave info page with a ā€œDiscoverā€ button where the device name usually is
3-in the zwave info page with the name Aeon Minimote, but pressing itā€™s buttons does nothing.
There may be other states, and I wonā€™t be covering them

Pick your starting point from the above, then follow all the steps below from your starting point.

1a-If your mote has numbers on the buttons, upgrade the firmware if this has never been done
1b-Factory reset it, open the cover, press the bottom two buttons at the same time, hold while and until the red and blue LEDs stop flashing, if they never start flashing, repeat 1b until they do.

2a-Open a browser tab to the zwave info page, open a separate tab and begin device discovery.
2b-As soon as discovery starts, tap the bottom right button under the cover.
2c-Refresh the zwave info page until the minimote shows up as a new entry in the list, stop device discovery.
2d-Click the ā€œDiscoverā€ button on the zwave info page, the discover button should go away, and be replaced by ā€œAeon Minimoteā€
2e-Open the live logging page, see if buttons 1 through 4 do anything, if not continue with step 3.

3a-Open live logging and in a separate tab, the mote device details page.
3b-Wake up the mote by pressing the bottom right button until the blue light goes out, then hit configure in the driver details. at this point the mote should work.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve had three Minimotes pair perfectly with these instructions, but a day later, one shows ā€œInitialize= Falseā€ and ā€œRe-initializeā€ (white on red banner). What does this mean?

just means it went to sleep on you, press a button it and it should go away

1 Like

Good to know, because I was seeing it on a couple of Everspring water sensors and I was about to go into serious diagnose mode. Thanks

I managed to (finally) pair my two v1 minimotes thanks to some posts here and a little trial and error and with help from mike.maxwell above. Just outlining my steps/observations in case itā€™s helpful. This worked for the first minimote, so I replicated and immediately worked for the second. I think these both have the firmware from 2016. I previously had these on Smartthings, so I used STā€™s exclude mode because itā€™s a little more clear when a device is successfully excluded. This is all about 100 feet from either hub with plenty of other zwave devices in the middle.

1. Exclude device (I used ST) by putting hub in exclusion mode then hit the ā€œJoinā€ button on the remote once
  2. Reset minimotes by holding ā€œ+ā€ and ā€œ-ā€ at the same time until the lights stop flashing
  3. Once all lights are off, I went to device discovery in Hubitat and hit the ā€œJoinā€ button on one minimote. The red and blue lights flickered indicating something happened, but nothing appeared on the device discovery page
  4. In a separate tab, I went to Settings -> Z-wave information and looked for the device with ā€œin: 0x86, 0x72, 0x70, 0x9B, out: 0x85ā€ under ā€œClustersā€ which had a Discover button. Click the discover button.
  5. Now the Minimote appears in Devices. On the Minimote configuration page, clicking/holding buttons did nothing. Click the ā€œConfigureā€ button. The lights on the minimote flashed, and now button presses should appear on the device page.

I repeated this for the second minimote which was also successful.

2 Likes

I recently bought a couple Aeotec Key Fob Gen 5ā€™s (ZW088). Whew, confusing user manual! But using the instructions here for the minimote and an Aeotec support page, I got one to work using the Aeon Minimote device driver. The key fob was added as a Device so I had to manually change to Aeon Minimote.

Vera is still selling these for $25 each:
https://shop.getvera.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AL-ZW088-A-SLS-US

Factory Reset

1. Take the Pin that comes with the Key Fob Gen5, then press and hold the "Mode" button for 20 seconds. The LEDs will alternate colors between red and green faster and faster until the green LED becomes solid.
  2. Now release the "Mode" Button.
  3. Key fob is now in Setup Mode.

Pairing Key Fob Gen5 to your Gateway

1. Tap the "Learn" Button on your Key Fob Gen5 with the Pin, the green LED should now be blinking.
  2. Put your gateway into inclusion mode, or device pair mode. You will notice that the Key Fob Gen5 will blink rapidly to indicate that it is communicating. When it becomes solid Green for 2 seconds, this indicates a successful inclusion process. If it stays solid Red for 2 seconds, then the inclusion process failed. For this case, go back to the Factory reset steps above, and start again.

At this point the Hubitat Minimote instructions are applied (Hubitat never shows that the device was discovered on the discovery pop-up)

1. Go to Settings, then click Z-Wave Information, key fob will show up in the list with a Discover button in the device column
  2. Click Discover and the key fob will be detected as a Device
  3. Go to Devices, click on Device
  4. Fill in Device Name, Device Label, select Aeon Minimote for type, Save. Leave page up.

Configure Key Fob as scene mode controller

1. Press and hold the "Learn" pin button for 3 seconds, then release.
  2. Press Configure button on the device page, buttons should now work.

To determine what mode your Key Fob Gen5 is in, tap Button 3 (Bottom Left Button) and view the LED activity of the Key Fob Gen5:

No LED Activity = Setup Mode
Red LED = Group Mode
Green LED = Scene Mode

2 Likes

@mike.maxwell every time I restart my hub or apply a firmware update, I have to wake all my minimotes and configure them again. Otherwise they won't work. I wanted to bring this issue to your attention as you are working through the issues.

1 Like

Mike:

Thank you! This worked for me. I don't think I ever would have figured this out! I didn't even realize the Minimote firmware was upgradable!

Eric

Thanks a lot - I just made use of my Aeotec Key Fob. It worked first time. BTW they are for Ā£15.99 on Amazon.co.uk

Gah. That's another Ā£32 Amazon have got from me this weekend :frowning:

My poor amazon delivery drivers - this is getting worse than it was around Christmas.

-- Jules

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.