Overhead Door Company

Hello,

I've search the community, I google search as well this information, but I can't find specifically information on the Overhead Door Company smart garge openers.

Back story: I had a Lift Master opener that I was able to add the MyQ hub to and it worked with ST through a custom driver. I believe it works directly with HB. Well my Door was damaged during a hurricane and we replaced it and the opener. We used Overhead Door Company and they have there own openers. The one I got works with their OHD Anywhere app. Works the same as MyQ. ST has a direct connection to OHD anywhere app, but it doesn't allow the use of automation.

I am migrating slowly over to HB from ST. But what I cannot find is a direct connection to the OHD Anywhere app to be able to setup rules. I want to be able to use SharpTools and Also HB protect to when I click "Night" it will turn off any and all smart switches, lock all doors and close the OHD opener. Also, I want to setup another rule that if my Kidder Smoke Alarm (currently setup with the relays and an open/close door sensor with custom driver on ST) detects smoke, it would turn all my lights on and open the garage door.

Does anybody know if this smart opener would directly work with HB without buying relays and sensors? Also, does anybody know if the built in drivers for smoke and CO2 would work with my Kidder dumb alarms using the relay and door sensor as well?

Do you have any more details? You mean that there’s an officially supported integration for ST? As opposed to a community-developed driver/app.

Yes there is a directly supported itergration for ST.

Looks like it's a cloud-wifi implementation. May be able to use Alexa or GH routines with some virtual switches in HE to control it though.

Never fully understood the implementation of virtual switches and how they work. I do have Alexa, so how would one implement Alexa and Hubitat virtual switch to work with rules to open door if smoke would be detected?

Flow goes similar to:

Smoke is detected -> detector sends event to HE
HE sees event raised -> turns on Alexa Notify Switch
Alexa Echo Skill sees switch change -> notifies Alexa to turn on its mirror of the switch
Alexa Routine sees switch turn on -> sends open command to OverHead Door

Does the garage door opener have terminals on the back that push buttons can connect to? If so, you can get yourself a Zooz ZEN16 multirelay (Amazon Link) and a tilt sensor (Amazon Link).

HERE is an article from Zooz on how to use the ZEN16 as a garage door opener.

1 Like

Yes it does have terminals. I am aware of the Zooz multirelay. I even mentioned I could go that route, but what I was trying to look to do is the same as what I can do with ST. In ST, it direct connects to OHD anywhere and I can use it in an automation.

I wanted to see if HB had that availability without the need for extra devices to purchase (door motor costed me $450 as it was) like the MyQ for HB.

Sounds like they had an agreement with SmartThings to allow access to their API.

They’d have to agree to let Hubitat do the same for the type of integration you’re looking for.

If the opener has external contacts, IMHO that would be the most logical way to integrate it with Hubitat. Hard to beat wired terminals plus a directly paired z-wave relay device for speed/reliability.

2 Likes

@ktj.hebert

Just as an FYI - in many newer Chamberlain openers, these external contacts are just to provide power to an external "button" that sends an encrypted Security 2.0+ wireless signal to control the opener.

Don't know what the Overhead Door openers are like .... but you should be able to find out pretty easily. If you short the contacts and the door isn't triggered to open or close, then its the same situation as the newer Chamberlain/Liftmaster openers.

2 Likes

I just wanted to follow up to my post on this.

Found out that the "Aladdin Connect" Custom device created by @tomw works with OHD as well. The custom device handler that is on Hubitat manager doesn't work as when Aladdin did an upgrade, it broke the connection. tomw fixed his code and placed it under his dev section Aladdin Connect (garage door) driver - #28 by tomw

the codes you want are found here

Aladdin Connect Readme

You will need to download both drivers, you will need
Aladdin Connect System (Raw) Install First
then
Aladdin Connect Garage Door (Raw) Install Second

Once you have both drivers on, follow the readme file. You will need to login into the Aladdin Connect System with your OHD Anywhere login information. Once you do, you will see all your garage doors listed under child devices.

Now you can add these to the Sharptools dashboard as well, just go to sharptools and under actuators, add your door(s) and they will be able to be used in Sharptools.

3 Likes

I'm glad it works for you!

Quick note that the branch you linked to won't exist any more after I merge it into the main branch soon.

So, anyone that wants to install and receive updates via HPM or otherwise ensure that they're on an active branch, please re-install from the main branch once these changes are merged in.

Will definitely do. When do you plan to migrate it over to the branch where i can re install it through HPM?

Now. :slight_smile: Is it possible to use RM4 to control/report on my Genie Aladdin Garage (based on Postman success)? - #46 by tomw