Outside motion sensor

Or be cheap like me and put an Iris motion sensor inside a pvc box with 2 D cell batteries. Battery life is around 2 years.

Edit : C cell batteries :man_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

That was last summer. Is this better? :grin:

3 Likes

@april.brandt have you taken the Lutron Caseta plunge yet? I read somewhere on this community that someone turned a Pico into a doorbell.

I have also read good things about the Homeseer zwave motion you can add to flood lights and other outdoor lights:

2 Likes

I also use the Ecolink motion sensors. I set it on the lowest sensitivity level and done get get false positives. I’ve had some outside for about three years with no rain protection.

4 Likes

Looks like home to me. My parents are in the area visiting and they insist that even their car is unhappy with the weather. They have gotten weak...:grin:

1 Like

I can't complain. Today was in the 40's I think. Snow starting Monday night then back up to double digits for next weekend. Gotta love mother nature. I think she's gone off her meds again. :laughing:

2 Likes

I was getting very jealous of your weather when I started reading this series of notes.
I said to myself, "no doubt, she lives in Texas, or Arizona".
Then, I saw photos which reminded me of my weather (In the frozen North), and I said to myself
"Now, I feel much better!"...

2 Likes

I wasn't about to venture outside to take a photo today. Looking at the grass to be green. ADA colorblind compliant. :grin:

1 Like

Our house didn’t have a doorbell at all.

I bought a cheap ($1) UNLIT (that part is important) doorbell and wired the terminals to a contact sensor.

Works like a charm :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That's what I'm talkin bout! Honestly, it would be cheaper and easier to pull a wire, but I'm not crawling my sorry ■■■ up into that attic to pull a wire, so I have to rely on my hubs to do that. :wink:

Running wire would have been a real pain for us. When we renovate our attic I’ll probably do that, though.

I hear ... because I'm NOT going up there .. that it's pretty open up there. I imagine some arachnid that's going to drop on my head and send me screaming across the top of the house. Thus, falling through the ceiling and landing on our new kitchen table or something. I have the whole scenario worked out in my head. Ha! I'll let the hubs buy some cool tool. Then he'll be nice enough to go up there and pull my wire.

2 Likes

This is how mine works too. I went for a stylized doorbell, but it was only $11. This rings the doorbell on my Aqara hub, while Alexa says "Someone is at the door" on both Echos. Also starts another video clip on the Wyze in case something is wrong with the motion sensor (a Xiaomi Mijia).

1 Like

Haha wow, we have almost the exact same actions ... Wyze cam and everything.

Ideally, ringing the doorbell would also display my Wyze feed on our echo show... but the only way to get that currently would be to feed Alexa a voice command to show us the front steps...

You can't use Alexa routines to show the wyze on your Echo Show?

The Sengled BR30 with built in motion sensing are pretty versatile, from outside security to indoor (shower) motion sensing.

2 Likes

Here's a bizarro idea for you... Use one of these zigbee water sensors as the sending device and either 3d print a case for it with a built-in button / contact OR wire up a momentary switch to it. :slight_smile:

Or I guess you could use one of these buttons...