Outlet to replace wemo insight switch

I'm using two of Zooz Zen15 plugs and really like them.

Here's what they track

And you can only update the firmware with an almond router, right? I new there was a need for it in there somewhere.

The switch can be Off = state 0 (off)
The switch can be On with power being drawn by the device plugged into it = state 1 (on)
The switch can be On with no power being drawn = state 2 (standby)

The switch reports real time power draw when turned on.

That looks like a winner! :grinning:

Are you using them with Hubitat? Do the need a special driver of is it built-in?

Yes I'm, that is part of the HE device page in the screen grab. The driver is built in.

Currently yes, however you can have IP based devices that wake and and connect e.g. 6LoWPAN etc. That technology isn't prevalent yet in HA but it may become so and batteries will improve. There was even a recent product announcement for Thread based radiator valves that require no batteries (power harvesting mechanically/thermally). Adding mains powered additional Z devices because of the need for repeaters is an unfortunate justification, but valid of course.

I would (and do) use wired sensors wherever possible to improve reliability hence very few Z devices here - but I appreciate in a retrofit situation wireless is so much easier. If wireless was needed I would opt for one of the major name alarm systems for door , window and PIR room sensors and then integrate the alarm system to my automation. I am definately not comfortable with a homebrew Z-Wave/ZigBee based alarm system implemented on HE, ST ... or any similar controller.

I appreciate this doesn't address RF wall switches, remotes or the compound battery sensors reporting temperature, humidity, light levels etc.

As you can probably guess my experience with ZigBee and Z-Wave has not been good , mainly because of the layout and construction of this property. However I'm not untypical and see serious problem stories every day on the forums, often crippling the whole controller. In well planned networks with cooperative surroundings I know it can work well for many people though.

WiFi is too power hungry to support battery powered devices, and being IP based are more susceptible to "attacks". Not to mentioned overcrowded bandwidth, especially for folks that live in high density apartment complexes.

The Zooz Zen15 arrived today. Easily replaced my WeMo Insight switch. Found and connected to Hubitat so fast, I think time travel may have been involved! :wink:

Thanks for everybody's input!

If you stayed with WiFi, I would vote TP-Link HS110 and HS300 power strips.

1000x more reliable than Wemo and integration to HE and many others a lot cleaner.