Outdoor zigbee/zwave RGBW Patio string lights

I know that this is a longshot... But my once "automation skeptical" wife, who is now totally into the merits of automation, asked if there was any way to get some color changing patio lights to string on the deck. I would like these to work with Hubitat. I don't care if they are zigbee or zwave, either is fine. Does anybody have any recommendations?

I haven't seen any. There are TuYa WiFi ones, which I think can be integrated into Hubitat via an external integration - like Home Assistant or Node-RED.

1 Like

Thanks. Trying to stay within the Hubitat ecosystem, if possible. I hate external integrations if I can avoid them. They usually involve cloud connections, etc that usually lead to headaches.

1 Like

Totally get that ....

FWIW, both Node-RED and Home Assistant are LAN integrations with Hubitat (not cloud). Kind of like Hubitat's built-in Lutron or Hue integrations. I have my Node-RED setup on the same switch as my Hubitats, and there's no observable latency in my automations.

Edit: To expand upon this slightly:

Home Assistant has a "local TuYa" integration that is not cloud-dependent. And the Hubitat Home Assistant Device Bridge created by @ymerj/@ogiewon/@stephack/@tomw is also a local LAN integration.

1 Like

A string of RGBW "Bulbs" vs a string of RGBW LEDs?

I have a string of RGBW LEDs across the width of my 3 car garage. They begin the evening on an amber color.. sorta incandescent looking. Then at 9:30pm they begin a 15 min cycle of random colors. (One color change every 15 min.) And then go off at Midnight. But they are just the waterproof variety of the standard LED Strip.

I have a set of individually addressable that I've planned to use to replace the single color set that is wrapped around my patio cover. But that's a bigger project because of course it needs the full WLED package thrown at it :smiley:

1 Like

I thought about that but I think that she is looking at the aesthetics of bulbs strung across the top of the deck. Something like these....

I've been building a deck for the last 6 months and keep looking into this exact thing. I have yet to see anything.

The lack of these astounds me... zigbee/z-wave RGBW string lights seems like a no-brainer for this and Christmas related decorating. There's hundreds of Wifi versions that use some cheap app no one's heard of available, though. Ugh.

I may just end up stringing these instead as the next best option.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KV7LGTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look really nice along the deck rail I built...

1 Like

I agree. It would seem that there would be something out there to fill that gap...

Those are individually addressable but I think you're just using the bulb style as an example. You're right, they are hard to find that meet an automation enthusiast's needs.

That said, it wouldn't be a large project to cut regular RGBW LED strips down to 3/6 leds each and then run wire between them. Then you'd have to find a decorative cover for each cluster of leds. Like Japanese Lantern style :smiley:

Inovelli has individually addressable RGB+W LED strips that are Z-Wave... although they were discontinuing them I think.

The other option is to make some DIY style with controllable RGBW LEDs and something like Hubduino or WLED.

I am doing something with WS2812 pixels... but I have gotten repeatedly side-tracked so it is not quite ready for prime time yet.

Yes I don't think that they would need to be individually addressable, just control the string as a whole. The similar bulb style is what I'm looking for. Wow cutting down LED's would be a challenge.... I thought about individual RGBW bulbs but I cant find outdoor bulbs and that would be expensive.

The challenge is in cutting straight :smiley: The pads are quite small when you realize that half will go inside one connector, the other half in a different connector. On the other hand, I'm good with soldering so if I chose NOT to use the 5 conductor connectors, it wouldn't cause me much trepidation. :slight_smile:

I like the look of the led strips personally, especially the addressable since I could have 3 on, 5 off type of pattern to make the lit area more focused.

1 Like

What about something like these?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-Outdoor-48-ft-24-Light-Solar-Powered-Edison-Bulb-LED-String-Light-with-Color-Change-Feature-and-Remote-SR29ST01C-99/315718874

I know you were looking for ZigBee or Z-Wave... but if you have a IR remote controlled by Hubitat plus a 3.7v power supply instead of the solar panel... well, it is getting pretty DIY at that point. My goal when looking it up was whether they actually broke out the RGBW wires so you could just hook it up to a generic RGBW controller (and accounting for the power difference). I have a set of 4 lights I managed to do that to.

Of course there are a ton of these type of things (mostly regular power, but some solar) out there but they all have a remote or WiFi (many can use Alexa for example). Doubt many could integrate with Hubitat though.