Outdoor-rated gate sensor

Ring indoor contact sensor 2nd gen, installed on vinyl side gate outdoors in the direct elements. Been out there all winter so far, rain, single digit temps, snow, the full works. Battery is already down to 80% but otherwise it's been working great. No weather proofing, just double sided taped to the gate.

Here is a suggestion; take a water leak sensor and clip the end off. Stick it in a weatherproof plastic project box you can get on amazon and run the wire through a hole you make and plug with silicone. Also on Amazon, order a set of magnet window contact switches you would typically use in a home burglar alarm system on you windows. Put these contacts that have no active parts and are sealed mount them on the gate. Use "wet" as your trigger if the contact is closed (gate closed) and "dry" if the contact is open (gate open). Will work like a champ.
Leak sensor (zwave) i like and use a bunch:
https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Zwave-Freeze-Sensor-FLF-ZWAVE5-ECO/dp/B0716YVPLG/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=zwave+contact+sensor&qid=1613700899&sr=8-8
Mag contacts:
https://www.amazon.com/Contacts-Security-Sensors-These-Position-switches/dp/B077Y16GP1/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=magnetic+window+contacts&qid=1613700958&sr=8-16
Project box:
https://www.amazon.com/LeMotech-Dustproof-Waterproof-Electrical-Enclosure/dp/B07C97BBMX/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=electronic+project+box&qid=1613701047&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNUNWNUYxVldTU0RBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDAwMzI1M1NORkZaQTdSUktGMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjI2ODQ3MktPQkJMT1hMWVBOMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

FYI, you don't have to buy the leak sensor and cut off the sensor, instead you can just buy the standard contact sensor and instead of using the built-in dry contact to wire up the optional magnetic reed switch you linked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5HB4U5

Great idea - i use this exact product and never noticed the block on it, LOL. Thank you - excellent suggestion. Great product too, i have several at 1+ years in service the lowest shows 95% battery. Great radios too. Easy as heck to include with HE BTW. Start Include and insert the battery. Done. Very solid product. Much better solution.

Agreed, I have bought several Ecolink Z-wave sensors (Firefighter, contact sensor, tilt sensor, etc.) and they all work extremely well and include is super easy. Two thumbs up.

I have always been iffy on tilt sensors. You are getting consistent results with it? I have a mag contact on the door of the garage (soon to be upgraded perhaps now thanks to you with bigger contacts that are external!) but i can forego this if the tilt sensor is rock solid, and i would appreciate sharing a link - its been at least an hour since i was on Amazon! Thanks again - great idea. we have been using the leak sensor in a commercial application i can see the external contact blocks on the contact sensor are a much better fit. Same net result, less confusing syntax. Thank you again. jj

Been rock solid!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRZB0NT/

Thanks - when we thaw out in Dallas, Jeff will drop one off! jj

dont think that will work for me as depending on temp snow and how many open and close cycles the gate needs adjustement every so often so i dont think the tolerances will be exact enough to have the magnet touch the metal on the leak sensors reliably.. otherwise its a great idea.

but maybe that is not what you mean..i just mounted the standard ecolink on the gate. and got a big neodynium magnet to put on the gate to fill in the gap more than the std magnet and compensate for the metal gate structure..

this is wha ti got..

N52 Neodymium Bar Magnet 3x1/2x1/2" Powerful Rare Earth Rectangle Magnet - for School and Science Projects, Cabinet, Crafting and Treasure Hunting Magnets: Industrial Rare Earth Magnets: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

I wonder if sealing a contact sensor with Plasti Dip would be a good solution.

Good idea on the magnet - the reed switch is super sensitive and should give you much more wiggle room, The plastic dip - don't need to if you use external contacts. No active parts and always sealed up. Just need to protect the sensor itself in a weatherproof enclosure that can be opened to service the device every couple of years (battery). jj

My take on this was to use the dry contacts on an Aeotec Door Window Sensor Pro and use an Ademco outside magnetic door sensor. Put the Aeotec and the Ademco switch in a waterproof box, and the Ademco magnet (painted black) on the metal gate door.

Ademco Contact
Amazon link for the box

(needed the depth to work with the metal gate frame)

I don’t think the waterproof box is necessary. I’ve had an Iris V1 contact sensor on my gates for almost 5 years with no issues.

Southern exposure in Seattle. :cloud_with_rain::droplet::sun_behind_rain_cloud::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::droplet::droplet::droplet::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::grinning:

I can’t say my sensors have been exposed to constant moisture. However, they have been exposed to a fair share of rain and snow along with sub-zero and 100° + temperatures.

Wow! Impressive! I should see if I can find some of those V1 sensors. I can always use these Aeotec sensors somewhere else…. I do have a tendency to over engineer things :grinning:

I’m pretty sure @scunny still has some available. If you’re serious you could send him a PM for details.

I love all these solutions but I live near Indianapolis and all my units fail once the temp dropped to 9 degrees F. Isn't there anything that can handle the temps here?

The Iris V1 contact sensors can handle sub-zero temperatures, but they are getting hard to find.