Outdoor misting system integration

So I am about to install an outdoor misting system around my covered deck. I want to use it with my new hubitat...
There is no electrical component to the misting system in general. I think its just the hose connection out of the faucet.
Is there any one particular outdoor hose smart device that I should be using? that integrates with hubitat and works well?
Thank you folks.

I haven't personally used it, but I saved it to an amazon wish list with intent to purchase at some point.

The Orbit 27087 is on the Hubitat supported devices list, and looks like can be purchased relatively cheaply on ebay. I have no firsthand experience with it, so I cannot tell you how well it works. It is Zigbee, so all local control.

1 Like

So I ended up getting on this morning on ebay... well i made an offer at 15$ which I read elsewhere is usually accepted.
My hope is to integrate it with hubitat, and my tablet dashboard so I can just turn it on via a click of the tablet and have nice cooling mist :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have two of them and they work flawlessly!

I use them to water my two gardens.

Just got it from Ebay.. hooked it up, within 10 minutes I have my 100 ft deck misting system automated :slight_smile: Now I just need to figure out how to make a rule or button with 300 mins instead of the default 10min the manual does now.

nm just changed the default setting.. easy... man, this is amazing..

1 Like

For <$20 the Orbit 27087 is a good deal. However my experience is that these cheap Orbit valves can fail in the on position, which can potentially flood whatever it is watering. I just checked the reviews at Lowes.com and others seem to have experienced this too.

If useful, my somewhat more expensive but much safer option is to use the Rain Bird CPF075 for $19 from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rain-Bird-3-4-in-In-Line-Sprinkler-Valve-with-Flow-Control-CPF075/100074842

driven by a 24 VAC transformer plugged into a radio-controlled socket. Although maybe twice the price, at least this setup is not likely to fail in the on position due to the cheap mechanics of the 27087 or if the batteries lose contact while on due to corrosion, end of life, etc.

So I wont have that problem (well the flooding one) if mine gets stuck in the on position, I just have mist for a longer period of time until I can stop it haha. definitely will keep an eye on it though.

Agreed, for misting the flow rate is low enough it may not be critical. I have a huge drip system project going anyway (first ran 1.5" electrical conduit and 3/4":PVC water supply, so not wireless valves plus gigabit ethernet for cameras or laptopping to all 4 corners of the yard), and just decided to copy you using an Orbit valve and have a mister driven by a Caseta Pico remote that cools down whoever (people or dogs) is under a certain tree. Thanks for the idea. For irrigation, I'm using opensprinkler which I really like and haven't found a reason to try to connect it to hubitat yet.

I know this is an old thread but i wanted to share a recent integration for anyone else out there with a similar challenge.
I automated my pool filler recently by using a sprinkler valve and Zen 16 dry contact. Works great. A couple of days ago i decided to install a misting system and rather than just connect Onto the the hose bib, and considering i had a zen 16 with 2 unused dry contacts, i dug up my plumbing again, added another sprinkler valve and automated it with the Zen.
I also happened to have a couple of spare Pico remotes unused so i configured one of them to drive the relay. i leave the remote in my gazebo where the misting system is connected....

i'll have to take some pictures next time.

I can honestly say...my wife has used the misting system more than any of the other automations i have installed...so there's a +1 for the WAF.

Cheers
mac

Couple years ago I saw a photo.. of an outdoor shower.. a pool rinse shower.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 7.39.08 PM

I loved the idea but cold tap water wasn't going to be good for me, so I had to add an inline heater. It's pretty popular around here, especially with the kids trying to pack as many under the stream as possible. :smiley:

So I put in a sprinkler valve to the heater then out to the shower head. The electrical part was the hard part, 24" underground, 240vac 30 amps. Cramped area against the fence. It works great and because the shower head is so thin, it's practically invisible, plus it's 7+ feet up in the air. The original certainly looks better, all that green.. I just have roses and lillies. :smiley:

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 7.40.22 PM Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 7.39.34 PM

Last weekend I rewired everything to use a Zooz Zen16. 24v Sprinkler Transformer powers the Zen16 as well as through the relays out to the sprinkler valves. The 1st relay drives the Pool Shower for 20 seconds and the 2nd relay drives the pool filler valve, which is automated to only stay on for 12 minutes.

This next weekend will be "hide the valves" task. :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.