Out of control Kid with his PS4

Coming from many years of experience with teenagers and young adult children...I'm for net-metering and automated billing.

Charge him by the Kilobyte. No pay, no play.

At 18...it's well past time to learn about "Bills". LOL

I say this tongue in cheek, but I seriously wish I'd done more to prepare my kids for the grim cold truth of adulting.

S.

2 Likes

For me it's simple. Get off and stay off when I say, or lose it permanently. No putting it back and taking it away. No gimmicks, just hard cold reality. It only took once, now every ultimatum is taken very seriously.

1 Like

I agree with @doug take a stand and stick to it.

This is not a "kid" this is a by law "adult" in the US and time for them to grow up. Parents today need to grow a pair and be a "parent" and not their kids "friend". My kids thank me for being their parent and they see the disasters their friends have become.

Stop looking for Home Automation solutions to passive-aggressively try to solve the problem and step up and be a parent.

2 Likes

Or even better, he's 18, time to leave the nest and fly little birdy!!

Then again I was the parent who put stealth monitoring software (i.e keystrokes and screen grabs) on the only computer in the house to stay 2 steps ahead of our daughter. she still doesn't know how we always knew what she was about to do.

2 Likes

This would have had me learning how to replace or even worse, bypass the outlet...

As an aside, I run this at the moment Hubitat PS4 driver, it seems stable in that I've not noticed any real drag on the hub. It allows Hubitat to monitor the current state of the PS4 and if you're prepared to play around a bit you can also control the PS4 to some extent (wake from sleep and shutdown).

Edit - I hadn't realised it had been so long since I'd seen this post, it just came to mind while I was tinkering. Apologies for the necropost, maybe someone will get some use out of it.