Osram Sylvania Smart+ Lightify

Well, just reached out to Sylvania and they will not (and cannot) replace just the modules and tell me I need to re-buy the entire kits :frowning: … If I go that route, I have LOTS of extra strips as I need 15 modules.

That sucks. I hope :wink: your sets don't start failing, like 2 or 3 at a time that would require replacement of same. You never know with flux capacitors and magic smoke.

yea, it really sucks. What confuses me is that on my second hub I only have the Lightify strips and bulbs which are all Osram Lightify versions and do not have any Smart+ or other devices and still see device failures. I assumed that if they were all Lightify (ZLL) that I would be OK. Very frustrating … GRRRR

Yes it sucks. If they are under 2 years old and you have the receipt, you could rma them. They are obviously defective as @Rxich pointed out

Unfortunately, everything was bought about 2.5 years ago (based on Amazon orders), a few bulbs were bought on eBay 1.5 years ago .. maybe I can push to get those replaced.

So if you don't mind a little flashing and some soldering the H801 wifi LED controllers work fantastic with ericm's custom "smartlife"firmware, and are cheap, about 8.00 each. They run on 5volt all the way up to 24 volt.

Thanks … my preference is to stay with ZigBee/Zwave vs wi-fi … looks like I can re-buy the kit on Amazon for $20 … will have lots of extra strips afterwards!!! LOL

So, @Ken_Fraleigh, @BorrisTheCat, @april.brandt I have received and installed my second hub. It is Zigbee channel 25 and I am moving across my Osram bulbs (all varities - Lightify, Smart+ etc etc) and so far I am sad to say the experience I am having is EXACTLY the same. The Groups and Scenes just don't work consistently when called from a Rule or other Automation. The lights don't always respond if you only call the group, and when they do they don't do it consistently. Sometimes they come on, but don't set colour temp, sometimes they don't set level and so on.

Except now the whole thing is actually worse because my sweet little Xiaomi motion sensors aren't connecting all the time when previously the were rock solid. Pretty happy I can fix this last one though with some Tradfri outlets and a couple more mesh rebuilds.

The only thing that can possibly be causing me a problem still before I just give up and go back to shitty slow laggy cloudy horrible ST and Webcore is that there are still some bulbs left to move over.

Any other clues? I am so desperate for this to work on HE!!!!!

1 Like

When you were on ST, you probably added lights slowly, not all at once, and there was plenty of time for the mesh to stabilize before you added more devices.
The couple times recently that I accidentally left the hub off too long (electrical work) and the mesh rebuilt, it took a couple days for everything to get back up to speed.
The Osram with the IQ zigbee are terrible, but I haven’t had issues with the Smart+. I do have three or four zigbee repeaters with the bulbs in the form of GE in-wall switches/dimmers though. Also my HE hubs are both in the center of the house mounted on the wall with command strips.

1 Like

I too have both hubs in the middle of the house, and I will give it a few days to settle. I'm going to add some plug-in repeaters for the non-Osram hub, see how that goes, and then see how the Osram hub settles. It's just weird that the Groups and Scenes misbehave in the very same way as they did when everything was on one hub; I know the guys at Hubitat don't think there's an issue here but the behaviour I've seen is so consistent I don't see how it can't be..

One interesting thing: because I decided to make the second hub Osram only, my Lounge now has a 'split' setup, in that I have 3 Osrams, 1 ST outlet and a Fibaro in-wall switch. The 'Lounge Normal' Scene therefore has to sit on the original Hub so it can see everything (I've only shared the Osrams back to the main Hub, I have no devices shared the other way). The Scene when activated from the Dashboard 100% doesn't work, but when switched On from the web portal works every time.

It's this kind of context specific consistently weird behaviour that makes me wonder if there is some kind of a problem; or maybe I just need to be patient and everything will sort itself out in a few days....

2 Likes

I agree with this. I actually moved my lights slowly so that I could keep rules intact. I have 8-10 osrams and 6 crees on my second hub and they have been reliable from day one. Give it some time. IMHO

:grin: welcome to the hub club.

I've shifted a fair number in the last few days (I am horribly impatient, it's a failing..). I've only got 7 left to shift now so once I've done those I'll let it settle out. My ultimate aim is to remove all the individual bulb addressing I've got going on behind the switches and only send commands to the Groups. So much simpler if I can get to that point. Fingers crossed I guess, and thanks for all your help so far.

1 Like

Since the osrams repeat for themselves much better than anything else, I'm optimistic that this situation will improve for you. I, too, suffer from lack of patience. I blame it on the instant gratification that society gets today. Does not require us to wait. :grin:

I had to go out and purchase 15 new Smart+ kits to replace the module in my Osram Lightify strips. Even though they are on their own hub, I still get lights that won't go on or off, hopefully the switch to Smart+ only will resolve. I'll have LOTS of extra LED strips!!!!

night and day difference. The new zigbee SOC has been very good for me. Ihave the BR30's , the A19, the LED strip and 2 sets of gardenspots, all very reliable, and the best part extremely affordable.
None of that "Hi my name is Hue, I got a gun, give me your wallet, ah here's a light bulb"

1 Like

Me too. My favorite are the recessed rgbws. Don’t know why, but the color reproduction is better than any of the other Sylvania bulbs, and I haven’t had a single failure in over 2 years.

That is exactly what I do, and I (for the most part) only share groups with Alexa and Homebridge. You have to set up the groups on the hub the bulbs are connected to. I have this nine-bulb group less than 10 feet from the hub and many of the bulbs are in the routing table routing for other bulbs. I only address individual bulbs when it’s absolutely necessary, like using level change up/down.

These are all in the same fixture btw.

This is my dream, and one of the reasons I migrated to HE. I'll give it a couple of weeks once I've finished moving everything over then see if I can just use the Groups....

This morning things have improved a bit - still not getting the behaviour I expect all the time but the devices on the 'other' hub - the non-Osram hub - are definitely settling; I'm getting better responses from them. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

If it doesn’t quite get there, consider either adding more lights or a couple Samsung plugs. The plugs are darn near magical in their ability to increase the reliability of my zigbee devices :slightly_smiling_face:

On the Lightify Hub or the other one? I already have a couple on the other one, and a couple of Ikea Tradfri outlets on the other one which are reckoned to be ace with the Xiamoi units. At the moment, the Lightify Hub ONLY has Lightify and Smart+ lights on it.