Osram/Sylvania GardenSpot landscape lights

What is the right driver for these devices? They paired as "generic zigbee bulb", which I know is wrong.

I assume it should be "Generic RGB Light"?

No I would say generic ZigBee RGBW light? But if it's set itself to "bulb" then I would test it first.

Yup

They do not have a white LED within them, so just pick the Generic ZigBee RGB driver. Works great for all the ones I have.

I don't think there is one. But the gardenspots can still make white light...they just make it with the RGB. I have other RGB leds and they make white.

Perfect, thanks. I think that is part of the issue I had on these previously... I "assumed" they had a W LED (which they don't), and used RGBW. Well, setting color temp didn't work in Hubitat (shocker, right)?

But using color temperature DOES work in a number of other home automation systems, such as Home Assistant or zigbee2mqtt, on those same bulbs.

Well, long story short, other hubs just convert to x/y or another color space, and are not using color temperature directly anyway. That's why it works.

So I confused myself. Thought they were RGBW, and Hubitat was just broken, when in reality Hubitat is technically right on how it is working (although it may be nice if it "just worked" even when specifying color temp like it does on other hubs, but that is a feature request not "problem" with Hubitat).

Should have stopped and thought about it I guess.

No, they can "blend" the RGB to become something closer to white... but they have no distinct white LED. If you have them too close to a wall or something you will see the colors separate a bit when using whitish.

Not that it is BAD, like I said, I have a bunch of them and they do a very good job. But if you wanted a true white, you need something different.

I'm OK with blended. My wife isn't as happy with it - always complain they look greenish or reddish no matter what values I use to emulate 2700K.

But thanks for clarifying. Not sure why I was tripping up on this, but I will say that these are the only color bulbs I have. I don't really like RGB bulbs, and don't use them in general.

I would have bought white-only (temperature adjustable) landscape lights if I could have found some in zigbee flavor like the Gardenspots.

What about floodlights? One that has worked for me so far is a GLEDOPTO ZigBee Floodlight. Dual white AND Color. 10w, 30w, and 60w models. The only disadvantage to these specifically is that they have no power cord because they are meant to be fixed position or add your own cord.

1 Like

Those were the other option I was looking at. I might buy one just to try it out.

I only have one... but it has worked well when I have put it out (Halloween for ~3 weeks and Christmas for ~4 weeks). I also have a couple of the GLEDOPTO RGBW controllers with no complaints yet.

If they were cheaper I would buy more, but I have gotten so many of the Gardenspots on sale that it is tough to justify full floodlights now.

Could go Hue pathway lighting, but when I priced it out it was >$2000 to do what I want on my pathway. Screw that.

That's how I ended up at the gardenspots. I figured a dedicated hub for those icky repeaters was cheaper than ONE Hue pathway light.

Well, I would have to look at the spec to see if the light supports receiving CT commands and does the work to change from that to what the equivalent RGB value would be. But they aren't on the officially compatible list, so if they don't work 100%, i'm not all that surprised. It all depends on what the firmware does vs what the they expect the controller to do. Try setting them to the color Warm White instead of a K value and see what happens.

That should keep it in RGB mode and get the correct white color.

1 Like

I'll try that, thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.