Osram A19 bulbs off the radar

Still moving from Iris. Had 4 Osram tunable A19 bulbs all working and the all fell off the radar one by one. I'll try removing them and add back in.

Any thoughts?

Osram are really bad repeaters, HE doesn't recommend use them because they cause a lot of trouble in the HA environment

1 Like

Replace them with better bulbs. Sengleds, Hue, or Ikea Tradfris are all good choices for Zigbee bulbs and Yeelights or LIFX for WiFi lights.

1 Like

Or purchase another HE hub and put all your bulbs on that hub...

3 Likes

Using a second hub definitely makes a huge difference, but I've found it's not perfect. You put enough of the Osram bulbs on the hub and you still get one dropping off now and again.

I've got 21 bulbs so far, none of them are known good routers, no repeaters other than the bulbs, it's been solid...

Time for a Hue bridge!

In the US, osram bulbs are ZHA only, so they can’t pair with a hue bridge. I have several osram MR16 bulbs that I would love to put on a separate network but would rather not spend $100 for another HE hub. I wish they would work with Hue, or if sengled made an MR16 zigbee bulb that doesn’t repeat that would be even better.

1 Like

I've got 30 Osram bulbs, and nothing else, on a hub. I still occasionally get bulbs that miss a command. Typically at the edge of the mesh, but sometimes right in the center. Other times a bulb will stop being responsive and a bulb power cycle will fix it. Very, very rarely I'll have to reset a bulb. Now what doesn't of course help is that the family will physically turn off the lamps, but part of the reason they do that is because the bulbs don't behave 100% of the time. I'm living with this bulb misbehavior as it doesn't occur frequently enough to bother me that much, but it does happen.

This is what I thought but it will only let me join Philips lamps to the hue bridge in UK

Just plugged in two of my OSRAM A19 tunable bargain bulbs today. I am surprised with how expensive these bulbs were originally, that they have a high pitch buzzing sound. :-1:t2: This isn’t due to a dimmer. It’s a regular toggle switch.

They’ll be fine for the closet I put them in, but what a disappointment they would have been at full price.

I have had a couple Osram A19 fall off as well. A bit of a pain but delete and add back in. you then need to add back to groups, routines, Alexa...

Don't delete them. Simply reset the bulbs and put Hubitat in zigbee device discovery mode. They will join back with the old names and zigbee IDs. And will function perfectly in the old groups they were in etc.

3 Likes

So, here's something fun...

OSRam's Lightify hub has a local (almost entirely undocumented) API. I started an integration the other day, and it's looking very promising so far :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Keep us posted!

Yep. That’s how I’m using mine with HomeKit. The developer mentioned that unpublished API and he wrote that he chose to use that because it was a lot more consistent

2 Likes

I had nine of those in a group at one point (replaced them with rgbw Sylvanias) and they didn’t make a sound.

Weird. Well these two are buzzing away. OSRAM never did seem to sell that well in Lowes Canada. Even when they were on sale, I always saw lots of inventory, unlike Hue at Home Depot. Lowe's Canada now has cleared out Sengled and OSRAM, and started carrying Philips Hue.

It wasn't until the OSRAM and Sengled price dropped price to almost free that these really started to move. I paid just $3.50 CAD for color tunable bulbs, Guessing based on your experience, that these bulbs I bought were probably on their shelves so long, that they're an older series than what you had.

You’re probably right about them being around a while. I bought mine on Amazon but replaced with Sylvania d/t the tunable ones being the old Osram SOC that was causing mesh issues for everyone. I might take them out of the drawer again some day and put them on my ST.

1 Like