Orbit - Bhyve Hose Valve - Used as pool filler

I used this Orbit 21004 B-hyve Smart Hose Faucet Timer with Wi-Fi Hub as a make-shift pool filler. I have turned it off and on with the B-hyve App on my phone and I have a regular B-Hyve controller for my sprinkler. I don't need to do anything with the regular timer, it works perfectly and it is all set up. I want to use Alexa to set a manual water timer in the app, I want my wife to be able to say, Alexa, turn on pool filler for 15 minutes. As a bonus, I would like to be able to see the battery level on that particular hose valve.

I saw a topic on this talking about an App for this but it is for Home Assistant, I am a newb so if there is some disconnect in my understanding, my apologies.

Here is the link to what I am talking about. https://github.com/sebr/bhyve-home-assistant and a link to the thread, https://community.hubitat.com/t/orbit-b-hyve/40906

I might be missing something, but how did you envision Hubitat playing a role in this?

I have used GitHub - dcmeglio/hubitat-orbitbhyve: Provides integration with a Orbit™ Bhyve Timer and SmartThings to control the BHyve garden hose valve with success in the past, and of course anything Hubitat can do can also be controlled via a virtual switch from an Alexa routine.

2 Likes

I was hoping to control the valve with Hubitat. So far I can control everything I have running on Habitat with Alexa, I was hoping to to the same with this. As I said, I am newb so this might be a half-baked idea. My wife is forever complaining when I go out of town that she wants to add water to the pool but she doesn't want the B-Hyve app on her phone (it really does suck!).

This looks great, I will read up on this. Does it sound like to you it will work for me and is it pretty solid and stable. I have limited skills for troubleshooting.

If you can control it with Alexa then you can control it with HE. Its not the most eloquent solution, but anything you can physically say to Alexa you can also say it from HE using the Echo Speaks app.

1 Like

I've been using the app that HAL linked to all summer. As far as I can tell, there's nothing you can do directly from the bhyve phone app that cannot be done with that HE app.

2 Likes

I only use it during the fall grass planting season (which means any day now), so I can't attest to using it lately. However, I've used it for two prior fall seasons and it worked pretty well. There was something a little odd about having to run one real schedule on the Orbit app before the Hubitat integration would work correctly.

I actually use it and the Rachio community integration since most of my irrigation is on the Rachio. I've got it set up in Hubitat so my two Orbit hose timers are mirrored with empty Rachio zones. I then do all my scheduling and control in Rachio.

Take a look at this thread. Note that it is no longer maintained, but it still was working as of last fall.

[No Longer Maintained] Orbit BHyve Integration - :gear: Custom Apps and Drivers / Custom Apps - Hubitat

1 Like

If your B-Hyve fails, or the community integration stops working, this inexpensive zigbee hose timer integrates directly with Hubitat (as a zigbee device):

https://www.amazon.com/ZIGBEE-Sprinkler-Separate-Watering-Schedules/dp/B0B1JN6KZX/

@kkossev has written a driver for it:

5 Likes

It doesn't do anything that your Echo can't do, but it can be added to RM rules.

An event in HE can be used to have echo speaks speak a command to Alexa to control a device that HE doesn't have direct control of.

For instance if you had a way to detect when water level is low you could use RM to turn on the hose valve automatically.

1 Like

Gotcha... thank you for responding.

This is an Incredible community to be a part of, everyone has been so patient and helpful. A rare commodity these days.

1 Like

This work like a charm and the wife loves it. Pretty soon she won't have to speak to me at all! :grin: :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.