Optimal Configuration

Good morning.

As I was adding a few of Zen 16 relays to my system this morning I had noted that the system labeled the IDs sequentially in the network number ( 47, 49 and 49 respectively) and got me to thinking of what the system limits are in terms of total quantities of devices and if there are any practical limits that might want to be considered in terms of performance.

I know some people break up their HE on 2 separate hubs and I was hoping that if I share my set up if anyone might comment on if I need to have concern. At the moment, the only lag I notice is when I log on to the dashboard…but I have no idea if that’s any way at all related to the number of devices I have.

Not looking to make unnecessary changes but if 2 hubs are better than 1…then whats the best way to set up? Zwave on 1, zigbee on the other? All rules on one? Split.

Just looking for ideas really and hoping that if there is a better configuration – may as well set it up now before I get too more devices connected.

Devices.
Z wave:

• 19 zwave switches / dimmers. Most Jasco the last half a dozen Zooz
  • 2 GE wired outlets
  • 2 orbit garage door openers
  • 3 locks
  • 4 Zooz Zen 16 relays

Zigbee

• 5 key fobs
  • 5 Sylvania RGBW light strip controllers
  • 6 door / window contacts ( combo of iris gen 1 & 2)
  • 10 Motion sensors ( combo of Iris Gen 1 and 2)
  • 9 centralite leak sensors
  • 1 iris key pad

Combination

• 8 centralite 3410 zigbee smart plugs that are zwave repeater enabled

Other things on the Hubitat environment

• Lutron Smart bridge with 4 Pico remotes
  • My Sonos Sysyem
  • Fabric smart speaker
  • Amazon Dot

Apps

• Advanced Button Controller
  • Amazon Echo
  • Button Controllers
  • Device watchdog
  • Dimmer Button Controller
  • Dash Board
  • Safety monitor
  • IFTTT
  • Life 360….don’t really use it
  • Lock Code manager
  • Lutron Integrator
  • Motion Lighting apps
  • Notifications
  • Rule Machine
  • Sharp Tools…don’t really use
  • Simple automation
  • Simple sprinklers
  • Sonos Integration
  • Switch Bindings
  • Thermostat Scheduler
  • Zone Motion Controllers

Thanks
Mac

From a device count viewpoint, I think you're OK.

I have 3 Hubitat Hubs connected and the one with both Zigbee and ZWave has:
25 zwave; 23 zigbee; 69 total devices

On the other hand, I only have 4 Apps on that Hub. ABC, HubConnect, Lutron Integration and Rule Machine.

HubConnect 'mirrors' all my devices to my Third hub and that's where my common/internet events occur. Dashboards are all built on the Third hub. Alexa and Homebridge (HomeKit) are there too, for the once a week voice thing we might perform.

Very few NEED more than one hub BUT for those that have 'committed to Hubitat', the cost of another hub is a rather low hurdle. I'm a big one for 'throwing hardware' at problems like this. I like parallelism to reduce demands and therefore increase response.

I'd say you're single hub is just fine, for now. What often happens though, is that someone wants a backup hub because Waiting during the shipping time to replace a Hub can be nerve wracking. Then a few days later, the hub is powered up, because it's just sitting there.. why not try it out. :smiley:

2 Likes

I always recommend starting with 1 hub, and buy more if you demonstrate that you NEED more.

It will be the apps/# of apps that likely kill you, not the devices (barring some bad user driver, of course).

3 Likes

FWIW, you can have no more than 232 zwave devices on one Hubitat.

I currently have 136 local devices on one hub and some Samsung TV's and such on a ST's hub with no performance issues. I split up my devices among several dashboards for each room and have a main dashboard I use for connecting to each of them and they all load fast.

At one point I had 168 devices all on the HE hub and saw no performance issues. I did take a methodical approach to enrolling all the devices to make sure the mesh was stable.

Could you please expand on what methodical approach you took to ensure there aren't any performance issues?

@mraz.camren I added devices slowly outward from the hub in a spiral about 20 per day to give the mesh time to establish.

4 Likes

@mraz.camren Also each device I did a factory reset before joining. I then performed an exclusion and then finally included on each device. I ran a zwave repair after adding each device also.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I will make sure to follow them in the future

1 Like

Appreciate the reply. Im likely going to pick up another hub at some point but clearly no where near my limit.
Cheers.
Mac

In time :slight_smile:

@mraz.camren Here's a good guide to follow for Z-Wave:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

And this one for Zigbee:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

2 Likes

Thanks for the link. I know I've read that in the past and since then i have been doing a routine z wave repair any time i make changes to my system.
But i do have a question.
The how to guide talks about building a solid mesh and adding devices on a circumference then moving oourward But once thats all done - doesn't a z wave repair route in the most optimal paths?
Only reason i ask is that as i didn't build the network mesh in the manner described..but more ad hoc depending on what i installed in basically a random order.....i certainly hope a repair will get an optimal mesh vs having to reinstall everything. yes?
Cheers
mac

Circling out is so you don't have any devices with a weak signal back to the hub but the mesh does self heal and rebalance routes either way. The spiral method alleviates pairing issues during initial setup and is just a general best practice.

Makes Sense...hopefully never starting from scratch again!

1 Like