OpenWeatherMap exception error

Hello everyone,

I am new to Hubitat, and I'm in the process of configuring everything (so far so good). I am working on adding an OpenWeatherMap (built in) virtual device, and it's returning this error in the logs:

"OpenWeatherMap - getWeather() execption java.net.UnknownHostException: api.openweathermap.org: Temporary failure in name resolution"

I tested the API Key directly on the browser with OWM URI and it's confirmed working, as I get the JSON with the appropriate data. However the OpenWeatherMap virtual device is returning that error above; any idea how to fix this, please advice. Thanks.

Your hub has no access to DNS. Usually this means you've set Network values that don't work or have a Firewall (pi-hole?) that's blocking.

@csteele - Thank you! I'll take a look at the net work settings, Thanks for the suggestion.

@csteele - UPDATE:
You're a genius! I went back into the HE hub and added another DNS lookup source and it worked. Glad that's a simple fix. Thanks again.

1 Like

no genius... just a guy that's worn down a pair of shoes noticing that specific error and walking the road that leads to the goal.

3 Likes

I faced a similar problem. I switched from DHCP to Static IP but I didn't enter anything in the DNS field. But DNS seems to continue to work until a few weeks later (cached?). So I add a DNS entry to the Static IP page and DNS is working again.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.