OpenWeatherMap-Alerts-Weather-Driver

I am wanting to use Forecast texts for a rule, but I am seeing a discrepancy between the "forecast_text"s and the "threedayfcstTile" (which appears to match my local forecast from their website and other websites). Based on the tile and checking OWM's condition codes, I would have expected to see "Clouds" in the text? I guess I am also unlcear on which days "forecast_textn" represent.

On the threedayfcstTile the three condition codes shown are:
Today --> 'condition_text' (current condition)
Tomorrow --> 'forecast_text1'
Day after tomorrow --> 'forecast_text2'

I could have used :
Today --> 'forecast_text' (current day forecast condition)
, but chose to have it show the current conditions instead.

Hope that helps.

That does help with part of my question, thank you! (and thanks for the great device)

But, my other question then is: why does my "forecast_test1” say “Clear Sky”, yet Wednesday (Tomorrow) on the tile say "Broken Clouds" (from Group 80x: Clouds in conditiohttps://openweathermap.org/weather-conditions#Weather-Condition-Codes-2n codes? Any thoughts?

Make sure you have this optional attribute turned on:

I will do some clean up in a future update, but if that is not turned on then the forecast_textn will not update as intended. It 'should' only require that you have the optional attribute of 'forecast_text' turned on:

..... but that is not working as intended at the moment (AKA a bug).

Thanks! that was indeed the issue. Now Forecast_Text2 says "Overcast clouds". Thank you! and thank you again for your work on this driver, Very helpful.

Before I even ask the question, from reading other post, I think the answer is "too much data", But I think I'll ask it anyway :). What I am really after is a rule looking for text containing snow or freezing rain in the next few hours as a trigger, but I believe you said elsewhere that the hourly APIs results in too much data, is that correct?

Correct. Hourly data triples the size of every polls return .... for very little actual data point utilization. Previous surveys of the users overwhelmingly chose to not take that extra data because of the extra resources it would take to ingest/utilize it.

Just curious, about a different API (so different driver I suppose). Do you feel like the 5 day / 3 hour forecast data returns too much? And thanks again for all the work and help. (And it's too bad you can't just consume the first days entries or the next 6 hours or something like that).

[UPDATED]
v0.5.0
12/08/2020

Changes:

• Bug fix for 'forecast_text1' and 'forecast_text2' optional attributes.

These two optional attributes were not updating/showing unless the 'Forecast High/Low Temperatures' was selected. This has been corrected to update/show when then 'Forecast Text' option is selected.

Wow. That was fast :slight_smile:

Never looked at it. The volume of data returned, even at every three hours, far exceeds what would be utilized by almost all users of the driver. Everyone has their own use case, so trying to either accomodate 'cherry picking' of what data elements to expose, or exposing all the available data elements, in the driver would greatly expand the complexity/difficulty and inefficiency of the driver. That is not something I am going to attempt to do.

Thanks.

Makes total sense. thanks!

Hello there,
After much searching, I have not found any installation instructions. After adding the code to the drivers, I created a virtual device with the "OpenWeatherMap" type. While this seems to work, I have none of the optional attributes under the device to select. I had them when I used the DarkSky driver, but now they are not part of this device. Please let me know what step I am missing. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you selected the integrated OpenWeatherMap system driver and not this custom driver. When you select the driver for your virtual device, make sure you scroll to the bottom where the 'User' drivers are and select the 'OpenWeatherMap-Alerts Weather Driver'.

1 Like

Thanks! That certainly did it.

I have tried specifying the language in the API as you suggested, it did not work. I was able to construct a call from by browser showing the problem. I have opened a ticket with OWM. We'll see what happens.

[UPDATED]
v0.5.1
12/12/2020

Changes:

• Changes to dahboard tiles logo/hyperlinks when using weather.gov for alerts and there is an alert.

In order to save characters (and reduce the likelihood of needed to remove icons because of exceeding the 1,024 tile character limitation), I have removed the hyperlink on the alert message on myTile. The hyperlink on the weather source on the bottom line will remain.

Also, if you have selected weather.gov as your weather alert source, AND there is a current weather alert, the logo and hyperlink on the myTile and threedayfcstTile dashboard tiles will be for weather.gov's site. Otherwise, including if you have selected weather.gov for your weather alert source and there are no current alerts, they will have the logo and hyperlink for OWM's site.

[solved] - I had to go to the dashboard app and add in the device to the 'allow access' list.

I must be missing something simple. I successfully added the virtual driver, API key, and location. I see the data getting polled inside the driver. But when I go to the dashboard and add a tile there is no OpenWeatherMap device in the Device List. How do I get it to populate the device list so I can use it to build a tile?

?? When you created the dashboard, did you select your virtual driver as one of the devices? If it is not selected, it will not show in the available list when you go to add a tile.

Hi @Matthew any idea what causes a null +null?
Everything else looks good.

Thanks